APC Forum

Is this Charcoal fine enough?

mabuse00

Hi,

just registered here.

This seems to be one of the more competent pyro forums, maybe you can give me some hints.

I'd liked to play around with fire and fireworks as long as i can think, but recently I started

with DIY and became involved in this hobby. I'm 28 years old but when playing with fire I'm more like 8.

Unfortunately I live in Germany, where you cant't buy decent fireworks and chemicals, DIY is completely illegal,

and you must not fire any devices but on new year's eve.

After playing around with ever enlarging salutes and HEs in the nearby woods and fields I have to pass over to the more

"quiet" part of pyro, because I suspect people start to know me ;)

Thus far I did several fountains and (ground- ;)) stars.

Next project will be a little mortar to shoot film can shells.

Thing is, I never did proper BP, as I don't have a proper ball mill (yet).

I've got an offer for wineyard charcoal, with 80% of the particles being smaller than 40µm and 95% being smaller than 60µm.

-> Is this small enough to get proper H3 with KClO4?

-> Does it qualify for "meal powder", to work as a primer+break powder inside the shell?

My KClO4 is airfloat, and for KNO3 i've got an old kitchen blender.

Next project will be a little mortar to shoot film can shells.

Thing is, I never did proper BP, as I don't have a proper ball mill (yet).

I've got an offer for wineyard charcoal, with 80% of the particles being smaller than 40µm and 95% being smaller than 60µm.

-> Is this small enough to get proper H3 with KClO4?

-> Does it qualify for "meal powder", to work as a primer+break powder inside the shell?

My KClO4 is airfloat, and for KNO3 i've got an old kitchen blender.

1. Build yourself a ball mill, you won't get away without it, seriously.

2. H3 consists of KClO3 (and not KClO4) and charcoal 75:25. It's used as a burst charge. KClO4 with charcoal and sulfur mix is called KP and it burns slowly in the open, it has to be nicely confined to release its full potential.

3. 40 micron charcoal may be alright for H3, but how do you know the particles size of your charcoal? Screening charcoal is messy.

4.Meal powder is a fine form of black powder, not anything containing KClO4. But it will work as prime and break powder, it will be a lot more expensive though.

5. And old kitchen blender wont pulverize your KNO3 fine enough like a ball mill would do.

I would have to disagree with you, 50. A blender will do a fine job for rendering down KNO3. Granted, it won't do as much at one time as a ball mill, nor could you get it down to extremely small mesh size. But for serviceable black powder for the intent of launching shells, it could render the KNO3 fine enough. Using BP made with said KNO3 may be less efficient than having the BEST BP, but it will work.

1) Yes, this would be fine enough for H3. However, as 50 said, H3 uses KClO3, not KClO4.

2) Yes, you could make serviceable black powder usiing htis charcoal. See this link: http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/how-to-make/high-powered-black-powder.asp

The Maltese lift shells (big shells!) with H3 with vine charcoal. However I'd strongly suggest getting a small rock tumbler and making some really good proper BP with willow charcoal and granulating it, then sieve it to 2, 4 and 7FA equivalent. Most formulae wok better when the BP is up to standard.

Never had acceptable BP using a blender. I'm very strict when it comes to BP quality though, if there is a slight white droplet after burn, I consider my BP as shit.

Hi,

thanks for your replies.

but how do you know the particles size of your charcoal?

Vendors declaration.

The reason why I like the idea of using H3 is that I figured "bad" H3 might be equal to "good" BP.

I can get KNO3 for half the price than KClO3, considering the all around price for the mixture it's not that more expensive.

I would only make small shells anyway, and I don't have time for many of them.

And I simply hate these hygroskopic nitrates... KClO3/4 doesn't get wet, is mostly already airfloat... simply more user-fiendly ;)

The sensitivity of KClO3 mixtures is a drawback, but if theres no sulphur around I believe I can handle it.

Ball mill will be a future project...

Like AE said, KNO3 isn't overly hygroscopic. It isn't just the anion that results in being hygroscopic-the cation also has a role in it. For example a lot of sodium salts are notoriously hygroscopic compared to their potassium analogues. You don't need to go straight to chlorates or perchlorates really. BP meal on rice hulls or something light will make suitable burst charges.

Well, after heating it to 80° centigrade there was a little fog over mine. When i literally stuck my nose in, my glasses got fogged over.

The stuff was already wet when i got it. Maybe it was inadequately stored before... i don't know.

I'm going to try it whith the KNO3 when i got my charcoal.

KNO3 isn't overly hygroscopic

By the way, how does it compare to barium- and strontium nitrate in this respect?

Strontium nitrate is much more hygroscopic that both, when it has impurities like calcium nitrate. I haven't experienced Sr(NO3)2 hygroscopicity with lab grade reagent. Barium nitrate can be compared to potassium nitrate, but it will absorb moisture in a very damp environment as well. Edited by 50AE