Conkling Blue question

Algenco

I'm preparing to make a batch

Potassium perchlorate 65

Copper Carbonate 14

Parlon 10

Red Gum 6

Dextrin 5

Since it contains Red gum and dextrin I assume it is to be wet with AL/water 30/70?

My question is can I leave out the dextrin and wet with acetone?

I guessing the Red gum could be part of the fuel?

Would raising the Parlon create too much chlorine?

Any input/criticism is appreciated

I believe the red gum is there for fuel value, primarily. This composition appears to be designed for water binding. If your desire is to solvent bind (acetone or alcohol), I'd leave the dextrin out.

Using acetone, the parlon swells but doesn't fully dissolve, and often gets stringy like chewing gum on a hot sidewalk. Adding a little hexane (Coleman campstove fuel) to the acetone soaked composition seems to help keep it from sticking to everything.

Let us know how it turns out.

WSMcool2.gif

I'm preparing to make a batch

Potassium perchlorate 65

Copper Carbonate 14

Parlon 10

Red Gum 6

Dextrin 5

Since it contains Red gum and dextrin I assume it is to be wet with AL/water 30/70?

My question is can I leave out the dextrin and wet with acetone?

I guessing the Red gum could be part of the fuel?

Would raising the Parlon create too much chlorine?

Any input/criticism is appreciated

I believe the red gum is there for fuel value, primarily. This composition appears to be designed for water binding. If your desire is to solvent bind (acetone or alcohol), I'd leave the dextrin out.

Using acetone, the parlon swells but doesn't fully dissolve, and often gets stringy like chewing gum on a hot sidewalk. Adding a little hexane (Coleman campstove fuel) to the acetone soaked composition seems to help keep it from sticking to everything.

Let us know how it turns out.

WSMcool2.gif

Thanks for the reply, it confirmed my thoughts a good sign all the reading I've done is soaking in.

A little searching and I discovered the formula was only a little different than Gary Smiths Parlon Blue.

I used Smith's formula.

I like working with Parlon , I add extra Acetone and work it a lot, kneading until it thickens.

Primes will stick beautifully, 15 minutes from the time the Acetone is added, stars are cut and primed

Man! I realy gotta get some parlon! seems they work out good that way. Hey, let me know how that blue acts for you, I may be tempted to buy a few pounds.

Man! I realy gotta get some parlon! seems they work out good that way. Hey, let me know how that blue acts for you, I may be tempted to buy a few pounds.

You'll never find a price anywhere near what Dystrophy is selling it for, better grab some while it's dirt cheap