APC Forum

Where to buy tools?

Megladon

I know a few websites that sell tools, but i'm sure i dont know them all. skylighter and pyro direct, but what other sites sell tools at decent prices? Thanks

So I'm curious about screens. While we're on the topic of tools, what mesh screen do I need for screening black powder? Also, is there anything else you reccomend for shell building besides the chems, hemi's, and time fuse. Speaking of hemis, where can I get the cheapest plastic hemis? I really hate pasting.

If you want nice breaks, embrace the pasting , plastic hemi's are notorious for seperating at the glue joint

If you want nice breaks, embrace the pasting , plastic hemi's are notorious for seperating at the glue joint

I'd love to find a machine like the one in this video:

If anyone has seen something like that for sale, possibly with different plates for different size shells let me know. I dont like the plastic shells i've seen, but without any experience i dont know what the quality is, it just seemed the better stuff was made with paper.

I do realize this. I am starting into this hobby kind of late in the season. But do you guys know of a place for them. If not, how do you reccomend making canisters? I've made a couple for flying fish shells. Haven't had a chance to shoot them, but they don't feel super solid. I hope they survive lift. I am low on funds right now and I'm just going to make a few shells to shoot in october. Over the winter I will make a ball mill, get more chems for more colors, either make or buy hemis, and make a seasons worth of black powder. Bp seams to be the only thing that is safe to make in the cold (static electricity is more likely because of the dryness)

http://www.pyrocasings.com/ will probably be the cheapest, but be forewarned that customer service is not their forte.

For canister shells, they should be pretty solid, though with FF, I could see it being harder to do. In general, you pack around all the stars and inserts with polverone, pretty much bound green meal. Spiking also helps to tighten everything up.

That is what I used to think until I was shown the light. A flash bag in the center and strapping tape make for very nice breaks. The reason I am going away from plastic is that I fell in love with canister shells and their simplicity.

You're not making any sense, or trying to stir up trouble. In what way by Dagabu posting links do you feel the need to defend yourself?

That is what I used to think until I was shown the light. A flash bag in the center and strapping tape make for very nice breaks. The reason I am going away from plastic is that I fell in love with canister shells and their simplicity.

when I get my case formers made I'm sure I'll love cannisters.

I've seen lots of posts about plastic seperating at the glue joint and lifting strapping tape off.

I may have to try plastic.

I've gotta get me some can formers down the road. For this season, I'll stick with plastic hemis. Just curious, if you love canisters, why do you care some much about perfectly spherical/clean breaks? Cans are notorious for sloppy breaks. At least in the 1.4 world, obviously I'm new to the home made world.

Tell you what guys, Im teaching a class next week at PGI and I am buying a case former for each and everyone of those taking the class!

In fact, they can drink them after they are done making the shells. ;)

You can sometimes find people selling tools on Ebay. Its not very often and usually the auction link is listed somewhere like passfire. Here are some website links...

http://www.americanpyrosupply.com/Products-TOOLING.html

http://www.pyrocreations.com/tooling

You can find general mesh screens for BP at grocery stores or places like WalMart. Hardware stores have screening material(for windows or fencing), dowels, and kraft paper. Hope it helps.

Brian

Damn I wish I was going!!!!!!! I've been wanting to go ever since I heard about it. I've been telling my dad it puts the mopyro meets to shame, but we just dont have the time. I'm currently on my 8th trip this summer, first one that's actually been relaxing lol. Oh well, just gotta wait until sep 4th till I can shoot something. Hopefully I can get him to take me over to destin for fireworks tomorrow night. Anywho, thanks for all the helps and tips guys. Sorry for kind of hijacking the thread, I couldn't make a new thread yet and couldnt find a living one that I could ask those questions in really.

My 13 & 14 year olds are helping me build all week long. You would be welcome to come with parents too.