APC Forum

Cone fountain?

Twotails

I was just wondering how you guys roll/make the tubes for cone fountains? or do you buy them(frankly i havent seen them sold) I've been rolling them out of kraft paper, but there a real PITA to get right.

Thanks.

Mostly they're purchased, or use industrial byproduct from thread spools. The diagrams from Weingart or the Westech firework manual (I think, I don't have them on hand) seem like if you were going to make your own, it's easiest to laminate a bunch of half circles over a former

I normaly skip the wood hardener but roll mine similer, I try to roll them 1/4-1/3in thick or so, and sence i have been rolling them thicker i havent had a burn through yet(I DID have a cone erupt fire from around the bottom, and it spun while remaining upright. i think the fule seporated from the edge)

• 2 weeks later...

Try a textile/clothing factory for cotton and polyester yarn spools, they normally have thousands of them that they throw away or sell to scrap paper dealers.

I bought a thousand of them for 25 Dollars, I figure they will last me till I croak!

A standard and common size is 9 inches high with a 3 inch diameter base, the tops have a very thick rolled lip and are just under an an inch ID.

With 1/8 inch thick walls it takes a real hot comp to burn through them. I soak mine in Sodium Silicate for a while to help 'fireproof' them.

After compressing the comp into them I ram an oversized 1/8 chipboard plug into the bottom and hot melt glue around it. They never blow out.