APC Forum

Coffee grinders

Fly

Well we all know how hard we can be on coffee grinders in this hobby.The cheap WalMart Hamiton Beach

grinders just don't measure up to my needs.

My question to you guys is,what brand seems to whole up best for you?:wacko:

Fly

i use what evers cheap, i run through them quickly.

Well I have ball mills(now a large one that uses a gallon jug) and a HF tumbler, i use the coffee mills to quicky mill materal, like say if somthing comes in prills or and i need it corse. I also use it for small batches of charcoal to test(before i go an turn pounds of wood into charcoal, i make a batch under 1lb and test it) plus it always good to have one on hand, least the unexpected happens(belt breakes, motar burns out, jar fails) then atleast i know i could still function(slightly)

I keep my eyes open at Goodwill, and stores like that. I generally use a blender for breaking up prills. It goes so much faster, and actually works better than a coffee grinder for me. It might have something to do with the fact that the blades in the coffee grinder have been broken somewhat by charcoal. I've done charcoal too, but it's a good way to get black lung. The top seal doesn't seal too well. I'm always a little bit uneasy with flammable dusts near open motors. I generally use an axe handle and 5 gallon bucket to break up charcoal chunks before adding to the ball mill. -6 mesh chunks break up in no time what so ever.

I keep my eyes open at Goodwill, and stores like that. I generally use a blender for breaking up prills. It goes so much faster, and actually works better than a coffee grinder for me. It might have something to do with the fact that the blades in the coffee grinder have been broken somewhat by charcoal. I've done charcoal too, but it's a good way to get black lung. The top seal doesn't seal too well. I'm always a little bit uneasy with flammable dusts near open motors. I generally use an axe handle and 5 gallon bucket to break up charcoal chunks before adding to the ball mill. -6 mesh chunks break up in no time what so ever.

For charcoal I use a meat grinder, but I always add a magnet to the bag and shake for awhile in case any steel particles got into the mix.

When using an axe handle or whatever with a bucket, as an added dust blocker,you can cover the top with a garbage bag taped on and then grip the handle inside the bag, works quite well. I do this when rough crushing MgAl chunks to keep them from flying all over.

I also use a blender. It holds MUCH more and is meant for a little harder work than a coffee mill is built for. I mill pound after pound of my charcoal in it (with a plastic bag over the top) and just today milled 5 lbs of AN prills down to sand in under half a minute per pound. A coffee mill just isn't up to the task of grinding enough for my needs in a reasonable amount of time.

just today milled 5 lbs of AN prills down to sand in under half a minute per pound.

Is Nighthawk an avid shooter as well??

My blender cant take that much so I do 8oz batches and run it through the dish washer between chems (no poisons) so that I done get interactions. I run the ground chems through a 100 mesh screen (PITA) and call them good.

I was pondering the wisdom of using a food processor attachment, rather than a coffee grinder, for much the same reason: the motor is in a separate box and the blades can be easily accessed and washed, and in time, only the attachment not the motor would need replaced.

That plan is on hold until I can give She Who Rules the Kitchen some solid evidence that I don't intend to destroy the food processor :)

You'd be surprised. I burn out more blender motors than I break blades or containers. Even the higher end blenders I obtain can only take so much punishment.

• 8 months later...

Freecycle is a good place to find a food processor or grinder or just about anything for that matter. Im picking up a "barely used" food processor tomorrow. http://www.freecycle.org/

Also a good place to look for a motor for a ball mill.

Steve

Edited by moondogman

gallery_10713_78_194955.jpg

Waring commercial blender

After a little dickering $10 @ a garage sale

Takes down prills to powder in nothing flat.