APC Forum

making charcoal, which wood

Algenco

If you had access to any type wood, which one/ones would you prefer?

I live in the Daniel Boone National Forest and have several timber cutter freinds, as a result I have access to unlimited amounts of anything that grows in the Eastern US including some exotic/invasive species.

I'm retired so I have plenty of free time to make charcoal

Pine is great for charcoal streamer stars--use the white pine in 2x4s from a building center.

Grill charcoal--the mixed stuff you find in big bags for grilling is great for basic applications and streamer stars. Don't get briquettes tho, you want the lump charcoal.

Commercial airfloat is great for adding to any star comp, due to it being preground. Works great for streamers.

Willow, balsa, paulownia, alder are all great for making burst and lift powder. Some may say that willow or balsa is the king, but I will gladly dispute that, and say that paulownia is the BEST for making the fastest powder.

Keep in mind that the fastest charcoal is not always best for your applications.

Here's a good link: http://www.wichitabu...coal_tests.html

You may also wish to check out the big black powder thread, found here: http://www.amateurpy...er-thread-%231/

And here is how to make your own charcoal: http://www.wichitabu...s/charcoal.html

You may also wish to browse this forum a little more, as I do belive that your question has been answered many times before in other threads. Good luck.

Edited by TheEskimo

Thanks for the response.

I think I'll start with paulownia and yellow pine.

I guess I need to load up the chainsaw and splitter and cut a truck load

Pine from tree or builders offcuts is good for BP and pretty sparks in stars. Willow is the UK standard for fast BP of tradition. Balsa and vine produces faster powder though not native to the UK! Shimizu often mentions Pawlonia and Hemp charcoal for specific purposes.

The Links above from TheEskimo are all good references.

The UK standard for willow for charcoal is- Branches about 2 - 3 years old, up to two inches diameter and with green bark. The bark goes a grey brown as the branches age. Charcoal is best made from debarked wood.

well, I just checked my source for paulownia , new highway construction wiped out most of it (3 acres).

I've read the charcoal compasison chart several times, maybe to much.

Ash is faster than paulownia and balsa but didn't supply as much lift.

It seems the light weight no-resinous woods are best, yellow Poplar (Tulip) wasn't tested but would seem to be very good.

I guess I'll be doing some testing.

The Kingsford and Cowboy charcoal plants are within 25 miles of me, I live in the heart of charcoal country