APC Forum

aquarium reef hobbyists

pyrochris732

Hi all, I've been planning to upgrade my nano reef to a 40 breeder with sump in the next few months, another expensive hobby that requires patience and careful planning. Anyone here in the hobby too? Saltwater? Fresh?

Great coincidence,ill be going in to the hobby soon. I saw a nice 125 gallon fish tank at Big Als, planning on picking it up next week. I'v got most of the supplies ready except for the powerhead and protein skimmer, it will be a saltwater.Nice to see im not the only pyro/reef hobbyist. :lol:

Great coincidence,ill be going in to the hobby soon. I saw a nice 125 gallon fish tank at Big Als, planning on picking it up next week. I'v got most of the supplies ready except for the powerhead and protein skimmer, it will be a saltwater.Nice to see im not the only pyro/reef hobbyist. laugh2.gif

gods knight, are you going to keep a reef or just do salt? Is that going to be a cube or a long? If you are going to be keeping a reef, i highly recommend that you look into Vortech pumps instead of a regular power head. They will make a huge difference in how your corals respond to the different flow pattern of the water. They arent cheap though, just to warn you. My mp20 was 200 bucks and thats only rated up to a 70 gallon tank. Good luck and let me know if you have questions.

I' am also in that hobby. Small nano reeftank 50l. I agree for the vortech great product.

gods knight, are you going to keep a reef or just do salt? Is that going to be a cube or a long? If you are going to be keeping a reef, i highly recommend that you look into Vortech pumps instead of a regular power head. They will make a huge difference in how your corals respond to the different flow pattern of the water. They arent cheap though, just to warn you. My mp20 was 200 bucks and thats only rated up to a 70 gallon tank. Good luck and let me know if you have questions.

It will be a long tank(6ft) saltwater reef. Ive looked into vortech and im impressed with their results the 40mp is going for 350.00 on ebay, that'll burn a hole stright through my wallet but for that performance its well worth it.

I was in the hobby. I just got out. I have a 265 gal tank that was reef I guy is supposed to pick up the tank in a few weeks. I think my electric meter is starting to cool down now after shutting the tank down. I went on vacation and the tank crashed. I tried to recover but I really did not have the time for it so I broke it down. I did a web site for school it still may be up. It has info from when I was tring to recover the tank last year.

Hence my handle marks265 = Mark's 265 reef tank

http://marks265.com/

Here is a good local resource for me as well----great people!

http://www.wireefsociety.com/index.php?sid=448d2e4160e08b9b9fdb90292024295a

Mark

It will be a long tank(6ft) saltwater reef. Ive looked into vortech and im impressed with their results the 40mp is going for 350.00 on ebay, that'll burn a hole stright through my wallet but for that performance its well worth it.

I think your lighting is really going to burn the hole in your wallet, are you doing mixed reef? Softies? SPS dominated?

I would think an SPS dominated tank of that size should cost well over a grand just for the lights.

Since we are talking about expensive gadgets for the reef, I also bought a used tunze osmolator automatic topoff last year. Best money ive spent (besides the pump) so far. well worth it if you have a big reef like that.

Lighting is the most expensive part i guess except aquatronica or stuff like that. I was thinking for a lightning system for my next tank. For a good build led system i have to spend about 1200E for a 250L tank just for lightning.

Osmolator is a must have for both salinity stability and painless care.

Yea, LED's are hot right now. And crazy expensive for the units.

Im pondering going from Metal Halides to t5's for my 40 breeder project. The ATI sunpower i want costs 479, crazy expensive. And then i have to figure out what skimmer im going to use for the sump and how to drill the tank and install the overflow. My buddy is going to be making me a custom stand though, taller than the standard ones so that you dont have to bend over to get a good view of the tank. I should get it all up and running by september.

Bubble magus make good skimmer not too expensive.

Are you planning to go micron bag or perlon ?

Freshware, I have 14 tanks set up at the moment,.

Breeding mainly Cichlids for local shops

Freshware, I have 14 tanks set up at the moment,.

Breeding mainly Cichlids for local shops

wow. What kind of cichlids? Africans? south american?

wow. What kind of cichlids? Africans? south american?

Angels, German Blue Rams, Ectric Blue Rams, Gold Rams , dwarf kribs + Corydora cats, Albino bristlenose, Celestial Pearl Danio, fancy guppies, and cherry shrimp

Edited by Algenco

I think your lighting is really going to burn the hole in your wallet, are you doing mixed reef? Softies? SPS dominated?

I would think an SPS dominated tank of that size should cost well over a grand just for the lights.

Since we are talking about expensive gadgets for the reef, I also bought a used tunze osmolator automatic topoff last year. Best money ive spent (besides the pump) so far. well worth it if you have a big reef like that.

Haha so true, the lighting is the most expensive but ill be using the ones on my dads old tank,thats what got me into the hobby in the first place :P

Angels, German Blue Rams, Ectric Blue Rams, Gold Rams , dwarf kribs + Corydora cats, Albino bristlenose, Celestial Pearl Danio, fancy guppies, and cherry shrimp

god, german blue rams are so pretty. Kind of delicate though...I have an albino bristlenose in my 75 gallon, another beautiful weird fish.

excl.gif

Haha so true, the lighting is the most expensive but ill be using the ones on my dads old tank,thats what got me into the hobby in the first place tongue2.gif

lucky you! Whats going over it, just out of curiosity?

Nice pics Mark! ah wow, I just saw this thread. Nice to see so many reefer-pyros out there. I just got a new 150g 48x24x30h tank I'm setting up in my new house. I think it will be a mostly mixed reef this time but I'm going to try a bunch of ORA SPS and a few clams as well, and put some mangroves in the fuge with the chaeto.

I've been keeping reef tanks for over 20 years :0 , I can remember when protien skimmers first came on the market in the late 80's and no one knew what they were, lol. I'm going with 2 250 halides/lumenbrights and VHO actinic supplementation. T5's seem to give good growth, but just don't give that shimmering look that halides give which I like.

I used to collect tropicals out of Marathon in the Keys for a living too, years ago back when live rock was still legal to take and sell. Good times!

Hi all, I've been planning to upgrade my nano reef to a 40 breeder with sump in the next few months, another expensive hobby that requires patience and careful planning. Anyone here in the hobby too? Saltwater? Fresh?

Wow, small world. My brother-in-law had a saltwater tank and two of my brothers are/were in the supply business (after/while being hobbiests for years). My participation has been peripheral, I helped develop a lighting line (T-5 fluorescents) and manufactured them while preparing for my current occupation over a decade ago (before the Chinese started exporting low cost systems that flooded the market).

My brother tried to get me to take up the hobby, and I said I'd do it if I could drop a $10 lobster in and grow it into a $50 lobstertongue2.gif laugh2.gif !

Have fun with your fastinating (other) hobby, guys! I admire a well balanced reef, but I'll leave the details of creating that sort of beauty to others.

WSMcool2.gif

Nice pics Mark! ah wow, I just saw this thread. Nice to see so many reefer-pyros out there. I just got a new 150g 48x24x30h tank I'm setting up in my new house. I think it will be a mostly mixed reef this time but I'm going to try a bunch of ORA SPS and a few clams as well, and put some mangroves in the fuge with the chaeto.

I've been keeping reef tanks for over 20 years :0 , I can remember when protien skimmers first came on the market in the late 80's and no one knew what they were, lol. I'm going with 2 250 halides/lumenbrights and VHO actinic supplementation. T5's seem to give good growth, but just don't give that shimmering look that halides give which I like.

I used to collect tropicals out of Marathon in the Keys for a living too, years ago back when live rock was still legal to take and sell. Good times!

you guys and your big tanks! tongue2.gif That 150 sounds sick, one day i will have one. I like the ease of a 40 gallon, i dont make my water, i just go get it at the store. weekly water changes and frequent trimming of the nuisance stuff like xenia (my god what a nightmare that stuff can be).

I think I may have a mantis or pistol shrimp in my 29g! Last night i heard all this clicking and popping noise coming from the tank and I am scared that my inverts and fish are in danger. However if they havent died yet its probably not a mantis shrimp.

I will be using a sump for the first time this fall on the 40 project ,i just need someone to help me set it up because i have no idea of how to set up the sump. I still have to drill the overflows and figure out what return pump im going to use. not to mention what kind of skimmer is going in that baby. My ATI sunpower comes monday 2rolleyes.gif

Thanks Swerve'

Chris,

If you reallly do have a mantis, I've heard of them breaking the glass on a tank, so with a small tank it could well be possible. As far as skimmers, everyone has their opinion but I was not impressed with seaclones or remoras. Your LFS should be able to able explain or show you in person, else there are tons of online resources. For over flows it is said that the entire water volume should be recirculated 10 times an hour IIRC. As far as drilling over flows good luck on that. You may want to what Craigs list. There are some really good deals sometime.

Mark