APC Forum

shell boost

pyrochris732

My sulfur and whistle mix wont come until late week. I want to start putting together some 4 inch shells since the 4th is coming fast. Do you think it would be ok to boost a few of them with perchlorate flash? How does 3 grams sound?

If i dont decide on the fast flash, can I use something other than sulfur for a slower nitrate flash booster? I plan on using only whistle mix for the rest of the shells when i get my chems.

Thanks,

chris

Chris,

Why not use slow flash for the booster? I would experiment with it if you can, it burns better with confinement. 70:30, Potassium Nitrate:Aluminum.

so no sulfur needed for the slow?

You don't mention what kind of aluminum you have. It will have a significant effect. There are two schools of thought on how to slow down flash. You can replace the oxidizer (swap KNO3 in for perchlorate), or you can change the ratio (generally add more Al). Personally, I found replacing all of the Perchlorate with nitrate didn't give me the pop I want. I would use something like 40% Nitrate, 30% perc, 30% Al, or maybe 50% Nitrate, 20% Perc. The more perc, the stronger it will be.

I use this to boost my canister shells. Ball shells may be different. In my experience, ball shells are much easier to over break. Full nitrate might work.

You don't mention what kind of aluminum you have. It will have a significant effect. There are two schools of thought on how to slow down flash. You can replace the oxidizer (swap KNO3 in for perchlorate), or you can change the ratio (generally add more Al). Personally, I found replacing all of the Perchlorate with nitrate didn't give me the pop I want. I would use something like 40% Nitrate, 30% perc, 30% Al, or maybe 50% Nitrate, 20% Perc. The more perc, the stronger it will be.

I use this to boost my canister shells. Ball shells may be different. In my experience, ball shells are much easier to over break. Full nitrate might work.

interesting that you mix the oxidizers, i will have to try that. My al is indian blackhead 2 micron, really strong stuff.

I'll try 40% nit, 30% perchlor, 30 - al.

Thanks

Mumbles and I differ slightly in this regard, I use whistle as the booster in my canisters except for my dump shells in which I use 2FA (or equivalent) to break.

I only use flash (2 grams) dusted over my 2FA in my timed reports. Ball shells are different, small ones get flash (2" or smaller) or slow flash (3" & 4") and polverone for 5" and up.

Your mileage may vary... <_<

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I use homemade 2FA dusted with 6% flash to break my canister shells. The flash alone kind of sucks in a flash bag. The shell below uses 12g of it in a flash bag for the final break. It was a cool effect, and I really liked it, but it wasn't what I intended.