APC Forum

Quick Quick match tips and tricks

Ralph

Ralph, I'm assuming that it you intended this thread for all to contribute to. My QM method uses gummed paper tape and fast paper fuse. The fuse is also harvested for it's three individual strands of completely flexible KP-based black match for cross matching and fusing inserts. It's cheap and expedient for me.

I use 3" re-enforced paper tape because it has a tensile of 75lbs, and will support even a heavy 8in shell when lowering it into a mortar. I precut lengths of tape sized for the shell, enough to reach the bottom lift cup and extend just past the top of my mortars. I don't have the table handy, but a 6" shell gets a 33" leader and so forth.

I first lay the tape out on my work surface gummed side up. I fold over 1/3 of the tape lengthwise and insert a length of 'super fast paper fuse' into the fold, leaving 2in or so extending out each end. I then run a damp sponge up the exposed 1/3 gummed surface and fold it over creating the tube. The QM leader is passed through the lifting ring of the shell and taped underneath so the lift cup/bag will fit right over the exposed lower piece of fuse. The top piece of exposed fuse is folded over and a length of green visco (chicken wick) is inserted and taped.

When used for canister shells, I slit the QM tube as it passes over the top of the shell and insert the cross match. For pasted comets, I do the same. When the QW lights, it practically explodes and passes fire with 100% reliability.

Cost for a 6in shell leader:

450' of tape costs me $6USD

100' of fast paper fuse cost $4.50 (Passfire group buy)

So $.04 for a 3ft. leader & $.135 for the fuse. Total cost is less than $.18 and takes very little time to make.

post-747-127247375201_thumb.jpg

post-747-12724739612_thumb.jpg

Yeah I just felt like throwing a couple tricks of mine that would have been handy for me when I was starting out like to prime the visco and to put match covers on my list is far from a comprehensive one and is only one way of doing it