APC Forum

Granulated glitter comp mixed with burst?

jwitt

I searched but didn't come up with much.

Speaking of D1 specifically, but I'd guess it would either work or not with different comps...

I wonder if scrap glitter comp from making stars, or glitter comp granulated through a 10 or 20 mesh screen, added to the middle of a shell's burst charge, would make a little glittery center of a burst like a pistil? (Not sure that pistil would be the correct term for this effect, since stars wouldn't be used).

Might be kind of neat if it would work- I picture a nice starburst of bright color stars, maybe made a bit bigger than usual for longer hang time, with a glittery center. A simple and somewhat sparse, but possibly really neat effect. Might contrast well with lots of "flower-shaped" bursts. I envision dabs of glue used to arrange the sparse number of color stars on the hemispheres.

Color stars with particularly smokey trails might really look neat in this case?

Maybe arrange 'em like a pattern shell, a ring or the like?

But, uh...yeah. I wonder if that glittery center would work. Maybe the Japanese would call it "pollen"

I searched but didn't come up with much.

Speaking of D1 specifically, but I'd guess it would either work or not with different comps...

I wonder if scrap glitter comp from making stars, or glitter comp granulated through a 10 or 20 mesh screen, added to the middle of a shell's burst charge, would make a little glittery center of a burst like a pistil? (Not sure that pistil would be the correct term for this effect, since stars wouldn't be used).

Might be kind of neat if it would work- I picture a nice starburst of bright color stars, maybe made a bit bigger than usual for longer hang time, with a glittery center. A simple and somewhat sparse, but possibly really neat effect. Might contrast well with lots of "flower-shaped" bursts. I envision dabs of glue used to arrange the sparse number of color stars on the hemispheres.

Color stars with particularly smokey trails might really look neat in this case?

Maybe arrange 'em like a pattern shell, a ring or the like?

But, uh...yeah. I wonder if that glittery center would work. Maybe the Japanese would call it "pollen"

I'm sure it would work, I'd try it with the 10 mesh as I think the 20 mesh would make the micro stars too small. You could also just make an actual pistil, by adding glitter stars to the centre.

Sweet, thanks. I'll remember to report back when it's done, and hopefully have a video.

Nice idea, which already exist and this is a nice effect for pistils, because the granules won't fly far and the effect hangs quite a while in the center of the burst.

On this video

at 1:40 you can see how a peony with glitter pistil looks like. There are a couple more shells with glitter pistils shot on this display.

It's a D1 with NaOxalate instead of Bicarb.

I've done it before with chips and flakes from crossettes. Win 39 glitter is what was used. I just kind of mixed it randomly with the burst in the center of a 5" charcoal streamer. They were probably somewhere between 4 and 10 mesh. It contrasted really nicely to the stars. I think the chips burn up almost instantly so all you see are the flashes against the back drop. Without moving much the charcoal tails are really not noticeable at all.

I often granulate glitter onto my drying hulls will have it in an 8.6" can im building will post a video with in a couple weeks

I also add it to the lift in cakes I find it gives an interesting touch

Is this the method for the effect of red filled hearts that I have seen? A usual heart with just a red fill in the centre

That video shows me what I want to see! Thanks for the info everyone!

I normaly do somthing similer, I found a composition for FeTi sparkler's using red gum as a binder, and (perchlorate, or chlorate, cant remember now, but i'd lean towards perchlorate) potassium perchlorate/chlorate. Once i mixed it (useing only a small amount of solvent) to get it to be like playdough i screened it through a screen (maby 10-20 mesh blobs) and let them dry. they dry realy hard, and i just add a little bit to the burst comp when filling(or around the stars) this creates an interesting effect, you see the shell go off and send the stars out, and in the center you see a sparky cloud of dust(kind like a dandilion puff) very interesting, it also is a good effect in salute rings(placed with the burst). I also have used the mix as intended, and am fairly sure the sparks attained are a nice touch to offset the normality of sparklers.