APC Forum

Fastest way to build flash inserts?

50AE

Please correct me If I'm out of line but.....

I dont know If I'd consider tubes made out of Pvc a safe thing for flash shells... Foil just seems like a bad idea being a projectile and a conductive danger as well...

Since the plugs are made of compressed thin aluminium foil, i don't consider them more dangerous then a plug made out of wood or polymer such as pva and the like.

Aluminium does not shatter into fragments anyway and the plugs are fairly lightweight. The aluminium does provide more grip on slippery plastic surfaces then clay or wood glue/paper etc and there is no drying time involved.

And regarding using pvc's and other plastics in fireworks:

What do you think those convenient plastic shell casings and salute cans are made of?

What do you think those convenient plastic shell casings and salute cans are made of?

I hate to disagree but they are not PVC, there is no Polyvinyl Chloride in the plastic shells either in cans or ball shells. They are all made from Polystyrene.

-dag

Edited by dagabu

I hate to disagree but they are not PVC, there is no Polyvinyl Chloride in the plastic shells either in cans or ball shells. They are all made from Polystyrene.

-dag

and they are very thin, pieces/shrapnel wouldn't travel far

and they are very thin, pieces/shrapnel wouldn't travel far

True that. I hate to even admit it but I had a 3" ball shell salute on a rocket go off 10' from me after I lit the fuse and the motor CATO'd, lit the shell and knocked my hearing out for a few seconds. I still have no idea what happened with the fuse going so fast as it was supposed to be a 10 second fuse.

The shrapnel from the paper motor casing and the ball shell did not hit me with enough force to even feel under my jacket. The lake was covered with new show so the debris pattern was easily seen on the snow and much of the debris hit me by the big V of clean snow in front of me. I have no fear of plastic ball shells and paper motor casings causing missile injuries at short distances now.

-dag

I have no fear of plastic ball shells and paper motor casings causing missile injuries at short distances now.

-dag

Hearing damage is something to fear... LoL!

Since the plugs are made of compressed thin aluminium foil, i don't consider them more dangerous then a plug made out of wood or polymer such as pva and the like.

Aluminium does not shatter into fragments anyway and the plugs are fairly lightweight. The aluminium does provide more grip on slippery plastic surfaces then clay or wood glue/paper etc and there is no drying time involved.

And regarding using pvc's and other plastics in fireworks:

I would actually consider none of those acceptable alternatives. Wood is a projectile risk, and kind of stupid to use. PVA and other glues wont hurt if you get hit, but they pose other issues.

The real thing I'm worried about is your insistance on using PVC. You claim it is a soft type, but the more you talk, the less it really seems like it. Regardless, it still isn't suitable for If you're using vinyl plastics like caplugs, they're not going to need a plug at all. Larger wont stand up to break forces. Remember, this thread is about report inserts, not ground salutes. It sounds more like you're using the type utilized for water pipes and the like, which will cause excessive shrapnel, no matter what the plugs are made from, and make more on the order of pipe bombs than fireworks. From your other descriptions it doesn't sound like the Al sticks at all, it's the hot glue plugs (something else I disagree with) that really hold them on.