APC Forum

Coarse Titanium flakes

Cookieman

Hi Guys,I wanted to make some willow stars but I bought the wrong mesh.I have very coarse Ti flakes and was wondering,because this metal is so expensive,how can I turn it into a sponge form?

Any help would be great!!! thanks. :mellow:

Hi Guys,I wanted to make some willow stars but I bought the wrong mesh.I have very coarse Ti flakes and was wondering,because this metal is so expensive,how can I turn it into a sponge form?

Any help would be great!!! thanks. :mellow:

Sponge is a manufacturing process, there is nothing you can do to change it. I recommend you sell it and buy what you need or mill it to finer flakes.

D

Sponge is a manufacturing process, there is nothing you can do to change it. I recommend you sell it and buy what you need or mill it to finer flakes.

D

Ok,thanks! I guess I will use it up in some aerial salutes.

Ti flakes can be used in a willow type comp. I've made Shimizu Willow + 10% Ti flakes and it was quite nice. I used the (comets) mostly as rising tails on shells. IIRC correctly, I used -10+20 flakes, possibly finer though, it was a year or so ago and I often forget to make notes.

Sponge Ti is the raw Ti this is how it is before it is further processed into ingots. Titanium tetrachloride is reduced to titanium using magnesium (magnesium chloride is formed) and you are left with a sponge

I thought that it was sprayed into a stream of Na, and the yield was some insanely fine stuff, armstrongs Ti or something. I've got a pound of it. :(

Edit: I did a bit of reading and you are right,

Edited by Ventsi

Ti flakes can be used in a willow type comp. I've made Shimizu Willow + 10% Ti flakes and it was quite nice. I used the (comets) mostly as rising tails on shells. IIRC correctly, I used -10+20 flakes, possibly finer though, it was a year or so ago and I often forget to make notes.

Does this comp.have to be pumped or rolled,or can I just cut them?

Small product (stars etc) is intolerant of illchosen meshes, but bigger stars will usually take or even need bigger particle sizes.

Unless the flake is really too big you could consider some 3/4 or inch stars which would accept bigger Ti flakes. Ti is hard and tough to mill, it will mill the lead off the balls so you may need hard steel balls -all in it's possibl;y best to use what you have where you can or trade it for what you need.

Bonny, have you got any videos of this composition ir performance?

PyroMan ^_^

Does this comp.have to be pumped or rolled,or can I just cut them?

I wouldn't try rolling unless the Ti is maybe 80 mesh or finer. You should be fine pumping or cutting.

Bonny, have you got any videos of this composition ir performance?

PyroMan ^_^

The tails on these used willow + Ti. I think they were 3/4" comets.

I wouldn't try rolling unless the Ti is maybe 80 mesh or finer. You should be fine pumping or cutting.

The tails on these used willow + Ti. I think they were 3/4" comets.

Very nice comet and shells Bonny.I will make the same comp.What size stars do you think would look good in a 6" shell? also what colour should I use for a pistel?

Very nice comet and shells Bonny.I will make the same comp.What size stars do you think would look good in a 6" shell? also what colour should I use for a pistel?

I've never made a 6" shell, but for willow stars I'd guess 5/8" to 3/4" stars. For a colour pistil, you have to use something that's not too bright or it will drown out the charcoal from the willow stars, maybe a non metallic blue. Blue looks great with charcoal stars IMO.

On the willow, be sure to ballmill for a good while and then screen in the Ti.

There are two ways to make Titanium sponge. The Armstrong process (sodium) or the Kroll process (magnesium). Armstrong makes purer titanium, but is more expensive, and does make very fine Ti. Even if you process it further, it makes much more reactive Ti I have heard, and it gives a yellow tinge to the sparks which is not desirable. I understand that the armstrong has an analogue called the Hunter process that I am told is done the same way as the Kroll processes just with sodium.

I've never made a 6" shell, but for willow stars I'd guess 5/8" to 3/4" stars. For a colour pistil, you have to use something that's not too bright or it will drown out the charcoal from the willow stars, maybe a non metallic blue. Blue looks great with charcoal stars IMO.

On the willow, be sure to ballmill for a good while and then screen in the Ti.

OK thanks!!!

Nope, ralph just has no idea what the armstrong process is.

TiCl4 vapor is injected or sprayed into a molten sodium metal stream containing a stoichiometric excess sodium. This produces very fine, very pure (low oxide) titanium powder, which is carried away by the molten sodium and is then extracted from the excess sodium and salt. The molten sodium returns, and the whole process can be run continually.

http://asm.confex.com/asm/aero05/techprogram/paper_9102.htm

http://www.entrepreneur.com/tradejournals/...76881053_2.html