Rooster

Blindreeper:

Name of composition: Cast Iron Driver

Composition Type: Driver

Creator: Unkown - AFN IV

Color/Effect: Long branching gold sparks

Meal powder - 80

-16 Mesh cast iron or steel - 20

The iron is important. Pure iron will not branch like cast iron as it contains carbon. Iron up to 7% carbon produces this effect. Iron should be treated with wax or linseed oil. I obtained my cast iron borings for free at a engine building place. They often shave the heads of engines and have perfect iron turnings and often have a slight oil coating on them which is perfect. Mine just passed through a 17 mesh screen (window screen) I am using this in my drivers for my 14" girandola.

Precedure/Preparation:

Screen the meal and iron borings together or shake together in a ziplock bag for a minute or two.

I will post pics when I let it off!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Frkonaleash1010:

Damn you, I seriously was gonna post this tommarow as a fountan mix. I use a ratio from the PFP of 76/24 though. Works perfect for a fountain mix but even at 76/24 if they tip over they zip all around the floor. So 80/20 can deffinitely have some thrust to them. And I have gotten a 12-15foot fountain out of this comp in a 3/4 inch tube....so the trail of sparks from the driver is going to be severely long. Guess I shouldn't video tape my lame fountain and post it next to your girandola. lol

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Defiant Pyro:

I tried this mix (in a fountain). It made a great shower of bright gold sparks. I got iron shavings from a buddy who works at a car shop. I acually still have some of the mix in a plastic container somewhere around here. Perhaps I will make a quick fountian and submit a vid for this page.

pyrohawk:

I hate to sound stupid but as I've never made or really heard of a Girandolla untill a couple days ago.... I have no clue what a driver is! I assume its the rocket that turns it?

Frkonaleash1010:

A driver is nothing more than a rocket with an effect in it. In this case orange branching sparks. In effects like girandolas or wheels you need drivers not just rockets or it would look pretty boring........

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mumbles:

Does this driver need to be choked at all? I'm going to try a small wheel later, and I plan to use this. I have much finer steel, so maybe my tail just wont be as long. I'd tried stuff like this before, it works fine. It's between 50 and 100 mesh.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

ftwchriso:

You guys say its got a golden effect.

But is it quite similar to the tigertail stars?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mumbles:

I'm going off other similar stars I've made for this. They are not all that similar. The Steel produces a spark. It is bright and short lived(as compared to charcoal). The charcoal stars produce more embers. They are usually a little more orangy to me. Looking at a picture they make look sorta similar, but the actual effect is quite different if you ask me. The charcoal star sparks kinda float around, while the steel sparks just streak.

Frkonaleash1010:

Yes this composition most deffinitely should be choked. I use a 1/3rd diameter nozzle/choke on my fountains and they have one hell of a thrust. I am not sure what you would want to use on a driver though. The sparks probably just wont be as big and as long of a tail.

Mumbles:

Success! I made a beautiful spinning wheel display. I made it with the m-80 tubes from cannonfuse and a paint stirrer. The tubes were choked 1/2 the way, so 3/8". I would of had it beautiful, but my friend broke the connecting fuse off. The 2nd tube did fly off near the end, but I attribute that to bad attachment. I was using copper wire and a little string. Perhaps glue next time. I got probably a 3 foot spread in either direction from a wheel no more than a foot across.