APC Forum

Shell Pasting Question

jrin0630

I think that if white paper is not going to work well, I have no reason to use it. I personally think white paper fireworks look crappy - glue will make them dirty, and they just don't have that "classic" feeling to them. I was actually previously considering the OPPOSITE of what you said mumbles - white on the inside with a single outer layer of kraft for looks.

Thank you for the help guys!

Edited by scarbelly

Oh the people I know don't use white. It's yellow, reds, blues, etc, even black. I've even seen people use Christmas wrapping. The plastic nature of it seems to be less than desirable though.

This reminds me of a story. I was at my first PGI convention in 2006, and was sitting out on the B line just observing and helping out with safety. A guy brought out a shell that looked like a giant charred log. It was a 4" salute, about 24" long, and pasted or wrapped in black paper. It was rather intimidating looking once I knew it contained 7lbs of flash. So it fires just fine, and keeps going and going up. The fuse/spolette didn't light. Then it keeps coming down and down, and everyone starts panicking. It lands maybe 30 feet from my friend and I. Instincts took over, and I either teleported through, or cleanly hurdled a golf cart in my mad dash to the dumpster to hide. This was preceded by a 6" lampare going off in the gun, so people were already a bit on nerves.

Moral of the story: Prime your fuses, and black shells are scary.

Holy crap. Haha that's insane. Did it explode on impact or did it just kerplunk?

Is there really a difference in safety with 7lbs of F as there would be with 1lb? It seems like once you surpass whatever X amount is you're pretty much screwed either way if that stuff happens to go off unexpectedly when mixing or loading.

Probably with mixing and loading, you're right, but when you're just talking about spectating, I imagine 7 pounds could throw a significantly larger punch at a distance, as well as significantly more ground or anything else that may be in between the salute and the viewers.

It just ploped on the ground. I just about made a similar sound into my pants.

LOL! That's just too funny!

Dr. X makes 10# salamis for PGI, 10# of Vitamin F that is and yes there is a big difference in percussion and brisance (shattering effect) depending on how close you are to it. The good news is that F is horrible at force and percussion. It is nothing like a 1/2 stick of Trinitrotoluene, it will deafen you at the same distance that F will leave you with a smile.

That means that it doesn't move heavy objects very well either so when a salami drops 50' from you, you are likely to be uninjured but a shell with stars WILL hurt you.

post-9798-1261338219_thumb.jpg

Edited by dagabu