APC Forum

Suitable PVC glue?

Ventsi

I'm thinking of gettting some PVC glue to use as a source of PVC. Most of them are just PVC resin dissolved in a mixture MEK,THF and Acetone.

Does anyone successfully use PVC glue as a source of PVC? If so which type, brand would be best? Pictures are highly welcome.

There is a lot of research that has been done on this subject, I will go look and see what I can dig up. What I DO know is that I have had a lot better luck with using MEK and adding a bunch of PVC tubing "saw dust". I wish I had an amount for you but I just keep adding it until it wont melt any longer.

If you write the weight down of both the MEK and PVC, you can arrive at a saturated ratio for future use.

D

BTW- my best batch to date came from a mix that sat in a bottle for two weeks. I poured the mix (pretty thick) through a window screen (quick like), added a few drops of MEK to thin it up and it was gold!

Edited by dagabu

BTW- my best batch to date came from a mix that sat in a bottle for two weeks. I poured the mix (pretty thick) through a window screen (quick like), added a few drops of MEK to thin it up and it was gold!

I don't get what you're saying, did you use this as a chlorine donor in stars?

And I was wondering if the PVC acts as a binder at all?

I don't get what you're saying, did you use this as a chlorine donor in stars?

And I was wondering if the PVC acts as a binder at all?

You didn't ask that in your post. the PVC in stars is a powder, not a slurry. I only suggested the slurry, powder is a purchased item. No, PVC does not act as a binder, in most recipes, Parlon acts as the binder.

D

Edited by dagabu

I know that, though I have heard that PVC glue is a decent replacement and would work. I guess I'll grab some PVC from Jacob...

There was a discussion on passfire about using PVC cement, or a thinned version of it at least as a quick setting glue for comets, stars, match, etc. They seem to hold up pretty well I have heard, and dry within a few hours.

There was a discussion on passfire about using PVC cement, or a thinned version of it at least as a quick setting glue for comets, stars, match, etc. They seem to hold up pretty well I have heard, and dry within a few hours.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

D

• 4 weeks later...
I agree. PVC cement and other organic cements/solvents do work really well, but can be messy. But they dry in hours rather than days, can be primed with ease, and ultimately be structurally sound and not liable to be shattered with a hard burst.

I think if you really know what you're doing then PVC would be an excellent binder (and chlorine donor?). Mumbles, do you by any chance know where to find that thread and possibly summarize that info here?

I heard somewhere that raw PVC is very brittle. A plasticizer is needed and the PVC cement has it.

Also, a too large amount may be needed to act as a binder. But, I'm waiting for the info too as I'm always open to NC-laquer-like binders :D

I heard somewhere that raw PVC is very brittle. A plasticizer is needed and the PVC cement has it.

Also, a too large amount may be needed to act as a binder. But, I'm waiting for the info too as I'm always open to NC-laquer-like binders :D

Grab a chair at Passfire, they have a whole long thread about this.

D

• 2 weeks later...
Pvc glue works great as a binder I made charcoal based pillbox stars 3/4inch and they dried in a little over one hour. if you ever try it make sure you have the pvc glue with the gold label its supposed to work better

I'm not so sure that actual PVC pipe itself would be a viable source of PVC. It has flame retardants in it-pyro's worst nightmare. Let me know if you have success with it that contradicts my prediction. I think the solvent and PVC (actual PVC) powder could be a very good binder and chlorine donor.

Did said member ever specify if it was useless because the flame retardants would in fact retard the flames, or if they would just disrupt the color and effect? I'd suspect more on the latter. PVC doesn't contribute a large enough proportion of nearly any formula to have a fraction of it being flame retardant effect it's burn speed considerably.

Are you still recovering from last night? I can barely understand your post :P

The guys name is 'jacob mccoy'. I'm not so sure of his pyro intelligence based on his emails either; they were very contradictory. This was two years ago I believe, when I was contacting him.

I'll try to clarify. My mind is a little fried from finals.

Did the guy on passfire ever say why flame retardants would mess things up? It could either be due to it messing up the burning properties (being a flame retardant and all), or they could simply affect the color or effect. I would think that the second option is more likely. In most formulas PVC doesn't contribute a great deal of the mass. A fraction of this fraction wont mess up burning properties. People have shown flame retardants don't mess up pyro all that much as they provide their own oxygen instead of relying on the atmosphere. Otherwise parlon, carbonates, NaCl, and numerous others wouldn't work in pyro.