APC Forum

Ralph's Glitter

Ralph

Hi Dan

Ive never actually weighed the amount of water going in I add water till it starts to form "proper" lumps as I work the water in this results in the kind of light grey you have and stars the burn really nicely on the ground (with showers of glittery sparks) and in the air after a day or so of drying they seem really weak and powdery but than seem to firm up after a couple more days (weird not sure why not sure if it happens to others) and than once fully dry they become real hard

bussypuppy normally you'd be right but in this case your not this glitter isnt quite like the majority of glitters it doesn't have any of the traditional basic delay agents or any MgAl so an adverse reaction is far less likely to happen if over wet and I mean over wet the stars will burn with a solid flame and few sparks but as soon as they are moving through the air or are confined in some way (like in a cast fountain ) they will look no different too the ones that were wet with great care. These over wet stars turn out real black similar to commercial bp.

I don't measure the water either with RG1, I add it until it clumps when a fist full is squeezed. I find that mine takes a long time to dry and only really has that Ralph look after a full week of gentle, no heat drying.

-dag

thanks for all the help guys,

they seem to have hardened up to the point where you cant easily crush one, the comets are very much darker and also hardening nicely.

the reason i measure the water is because of the small batch size of the comps i make, a 10ml syringe is a lot of water when you make 2oz of stars, something inside me said add more even though i only nomally use 5-7% for most pumped stars.

we'll see about the overwetting.

anyone rolled it?

dan.

Yes, I did a batch last year and it was very difficult to do. Cutting them and pumping them is pretty easy but rolling is challenging.

-dag

Yes, I did a batch last year and it was very difficult to do. Cutting them and pumping them is pretty easy but rolling is challenging.

-dag

did you mill yours?

mine was spongy, and high in coarse nitrate, i might try to up the dextrin, roll small stars a mm at a time and use airfloat kno3

dan.

• 5 months later...
Is it possible to get a reaction between the Aluminium powder and Potassium Nitrate when wetting with water? I know Boric acid is often added to counter such a reaction, these formulas don't use any Boric acid, just curious?

not with this glitter, overwetting does not seem to degrade the effect either, no problems for me, keep the water down to a minimum anyway it will help drying.

lovely rising tails ;)

as far as i know this was coved earlier in the thread

dan.

Edited by dan999ification

not with this glitter, overwetting does not seem to degrade the effect either, no problems for me, keep the water down to a minimum anyway it will help drying.

lovely rising tails ;)

as far as i know this was coved earlier in the thread

dan.

Thanks Dan.

hi all!!! can someone to help me about flashing comets composition..these comets are a matrix composition with flashing microstars inside can be someone to suggest 2 good compositions? about matrix and flashing microstars.the results must be something like this.at 02:10 time in this video........

I'm not convinced those are positively matrix stars. The color looks fairly close to white and could be a true glitter.

In any case, this has nothing to do with the topic at hand.