APC Forum

Help! My tubes are flimsy...

Ventsi

I can't find the tube thread after 30 minutes so here goes:

I just finished rolling two 1" ID tubes for some fat fountains scheduled for NYE.

They are 7in long and the walls are just over 3/8". Problem is I rolled these dry[ no glue pasted] with just a bit of white glue here and there to hold the tube in place. These are thick as hell but I can easily squeeze the tubes in half since there is nothing binding the paper layers to each other.

Is there any inexpensive method to strengthen them [by dipping and soaking.] like the wood hardener method by Ned G. perhaps.

Edit: Oops, I misspelled tubes up there, can you guys fix that?

Edited by Ventsi

These are thick as hell but I can easily squeeze the tubes in half since there is nothing binding the paper layers to each other.

I bet you’re tubes are just fine. They’re flexible because, like you said, they’re dry, but after you press/ram your fountain they should stabilize – add in the pressure from deflagration and it sounds like a strong tube to me. If you’re worried that you might split the tubes while pressing then I’d recommend using two shorter lengths of kraft -- glue one end of each paper even with a line of glue, roll, and then glue both ends flat. Hope this helps (its one of the only things I have experience with… yet ;) )

Just roll tubes with wood glue ( the best you can buy ) and normal paper , i alwase roll with kraft paper and they get rock hard.

Soon i start buy tubes because iam sick of rolling , but if u want to make inserts its handy to roll yourself because u can choose the size of it :)

grtz

Personaly, i do two things, ether dip them in a Sodium Silicate soluiton, or i've tried rolling them wet, steaming them under the pressuer of the rollers, an i fit them onto formes, let them dry, and spray a coat or two of Clear varnish over them. that way, i make some realy hard tubes.

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm not willing to roll them wet on such a large ID since it just creates more air pockets than I can remove. Rolling them dry is labor defficient and faster than having to smear glue every 10 seconds.

I thinks I'll just buy some MinWax wood hardener.

why smear glue? Dilute it with water, and spray it out of a spray bottle. it should work fine

I roll all my 1 " tubes with woodglue and if u make 20 strokes with glue , i know the amout now what i need to spread out and its done in no-time.

And they get rockhard , and u just need to wait a little bit , but then u can make more tubes. Just like with stars ^^ Time shouldnt be a problem with this hobby ?

grtz

I've never thinned to the point that it can be sprayed. I've successfully gone to 50:50 water:elmers with success. A paintbrush makes quick work of the spreading.

I've tried variations of the dry tube method - the minwax stuff does work, but it won't penetrate very many layers. If you can pull a vacuum on in, though, the resin will migrate nicely. But it still doesn't seem to match wet-rolled tubes. If they are for fountains, not rockets, then Skycastlefish might be right, they'll have adequate strength as-is, but a dip in minwax wood hardner or sodium silicate wouldn't hurt at all, and give you something a little firmer to work with.