APC Forum

Air float charcoal storage

Skycastlefish

Hey guys.

I just purchased another couple pounds of air float charcoal. It came in non-resealable bag, so I planned on storing it in a ziplock freezer bag inside of a gladware container. The problem is the ziplock bag won’t seal because the charcoal is mucking up the seal. After realizing I wasn’t getting anywhere, I decided to put the charcoal in a few of my soft plastic chemical jars. That’s good and all, but its taking up 3 valuable jars that I’d like to keep for my hygroscopic stuff. How do you guys store your air float?

I would say a put it in regular grocery bag inside a small bucket with a tight fitting lid, or a large paint container from your local HD.

Once done with it just twist up the bag and seal the lid on the bucket, Viola!

I keep it in the 50lb bag it came in. I do keep a smaller amount around for more convenient use. I just use a plastic coffee jar. It doesn't even need a lid, although I use one to keep crap out of it.

I dont like too keep Charcoal ( fine ) or Alu, anything wich will dust very much i rather put it in a tub awear box , so when i open it wont dust so much !

When i keep it in ziplock bags its very unhandy and it dust much :(

And boxes are much easier to store , they fit on each other , spears some room.

grtz

I place it in two bags, ones tied with a twis tie, then its put itno a larger Ziplock.

Or i get those real huge cheap contaners at walmart that hold 1gallon. I find the work good.

I place it in two bags, ones tied with a twis tie, then its put itno a larger Ziplock.

Or i get those real huge cheap contaners at walmart that hold 1gallon. I find the work good.

5 Gallon bucket with a snap on lid, in a 35 gallon trash can with no lid for the chunk style. Its not hygroscopic so it doesn't matter much.

D

5 Gallon bucket with a snap on lid, in a 35 gallon trash can with no lid for the chunk style. Its not hygroscopic so it doesn't matter much.

Charcoal?

It is much more hygroscopic than (most) people think...

It is not going to pick up enough water to become dripping wet, but it will definitely pick up quite a few % in the right climate, ash content being the other significant factor.

Charcoal?

It is much more hygroscopic than (most) people think...

It is not going to pick up enough water to become dripping wet, but it will definitely pick up quite a few % in the right climate, ash content being the other significant factor.

Meh, I weigh my charcoal when it comes out of the ball mill, I had placed 5# exactly in my 5 Gal pail. A year later it weighs 5.01#. Good enough for me.

D