APC Forum

3 inch blue ball shell

TheEskimo

3 inch shell. Pasted using 3 layers of fiber-reinforced gummed tape. Time fuse with 1/2 inch blue comet. Stars burned too fast. Supposed to be bound with NC, I used alcohol instead...really sped them up. 160 gram weight. 11 gram lift. Break: BP on grasseed...listen to the echo! Sorry the camera is so crappy.

Guys...try the fibre-reinforced gummed tape....I get amazing breaks with no booster, to the point of being too loud. Plus you can shoot right away, and for me, it only takes 3 layers, rather than 12-16 or what ever it is for pasting regularly.

post-9843-1253848119_thumb.jpg

3 inch shell. Pasted using 3 layers of fiber-reinforced gummed tape. Time fuse with 1/2 inch blue comet. Stars burned too fast. Supposed to be bound with NC, I used alcohol instead...really sped them up. 160 gram weight. 11 gram lift. Break: BP on grasseed...listen to the echo! Sorry the camera is so crappy.

Guys...try the fibre-reinforced gummed tape....I get amazing breaks with no booster, to the point of being too loud. Plus you can shoot right away, and for me, it only takes 3 layers, rather than 12-16 or what ever it is for pasting regularly.

Nice color and good break. I'd like to see the stars last longer too.

Dave

Paper isn't that much extra. I use 9 layers total, which is really only 5 times around because you double up layers. The last layer is just to make it look nice anyway, and many get away with less.

Anyway, that was very nice. How big were the stars? I'm surprised to hear that alcohol would have made them burn faster than with NC. Keep up the good work.

They were only 1/4 inch stars, and they seemed strong when I had them. They wouldn't crush in my hands, at least. I talked with the maker of the blue formula that I used; he suggests NC, but says that acetone or alcohol can be used, but will speed up the burnrate.

• 3 months later...
Hi this is my first post! I have been a member and lurker of the forum for close to a year maybe but just realized that the reason im not able to view some things is because i have not made a post, so here it is!

What star comp did you use? If it needs NC to bind it then Alcohol may not bind it well. NC is binder in solvent Alc is just a solvent and evaporates. Binders make a LOT of difference to burn speed.

In the UK plastic cases and plastic tape are not liked because of the shrapnel that lurks on the floor for years after a show. Paper shells are a LOT more biodegradeable and make the site easier to clean. In the UK the better jobs and shoot sites tend to stick to the companies who clear up best. ( I did some nice wedding shows at a super venue and the proprietor had three extra people arrive just in time to see the show and rake up ALL the debris - and he kept the venue because of that!)

I used the KCN color system, by a YT member. I will move it to the comp section, 'cause it seems people are interested. Edited by TheEskimo

• 3 years later...

After gluing the hemi's together they go in a clamp fixture for 3 min. I use fiberglass strapping tape along the equator {2 layers}, then a 2 layer strip 180 deg on the vertical plane then rotate the shell 90 deg and add 2 layers vertically again. Then 3 layers of 70 pound gummed strips of craft paper using 1in X 6in strips. This works for me on 2" up to 6" plastic hemi's. Awesome powerful breaks! No flash powder needed for the break charge. I use BP coated rice hulls for burst and get great results using rubber cut stars double primed. They light every time! Rubber cut stars can be used right away if desired. No need to dry for a day or two. I usually put them in the drying chamber.for 4 hours and they burn a little brighter.

Sarge