APC Forum

Compositions that can be ball milled?

Skycastlefish

I've heard some people say that the only pyro comp that is "safe" to ball mill is black powder. What about KNO3 and sugar? I would love to see a list of binary compounds that can be ball milled without excessive risk.

Thanks,

Skycastlefish

I've heard some people say that the only pyro comp that is "safe" to ball mill is black powder. What about KNO3 and sugar? I would love to see a list of binary compounds that can be ball milled without excessive risk.

Thanks,

Skycastlefish

Both black powder compositions as well as rcandy can be milled. Never metal powders, never compositions with other oxidizers besides potassium nitrate. It is always best to ask until you get a good idea of what can and cannot be milled, but for now, only black powder and rcandy. Most potassium nitrate compositions should be safe, so long as they contain no metal, but do not go experimenting. As always, run the mill outdoors and far away from living areas. Just in case.

As you can tell, I checked out the site and joined! I’m glad I did. Ahh, the pieces are beginning to fit. For example, if I wanted to make a potassium nitrate based flash powder I could ball mill the KNO3 and sulfur (being black powder like chemicals) and then diaper in the aluminum? Speaking of metals, I’ve always wondered if thermite could be ball milled? I’m not planning on trying this, just curious because I’ve had trouble lighting thermite even with magnesium.

As always thanks,

Skycastle

As you can tell, I checked out the site and joined! I'm glad I did. Ahh, the pieces are beginning to fit. For example, if I wanted to make a potassium nitrate based flash powder I could ball mill the KNO3 and sulfur (being black powder like chemicals) and then diaper in the aluminum? Speaking of metals, I've always wondered if thermite could be ball milled? I'm not planning on trying this, just curious because I've had trouble lighting thermite even with magnesium.

As always thanks,

Skycastle

Sorry, wont talk flash... if you have to ask, you will only hurt yourself.

As far as ball milling compositions goes; it is never safe to ball mill compositions, period. Not making for an argument here, its just not safe. That being said, I ball mill my BP outside about 100 feet from my house. It can and will go up, it has happened and there are a lot of rules and safety guidelines for this action so don't take it lightly.

If you feel you really need to integrate chemicals, you can use a blade style coffee grinder (one for oxidizers alone) and powder individual chemicals in seconds. Rcandy cannot be made by ball milling, it must be melted in order to precipitate the KNO3 into the sucrose (sugar), what you have is a binary mix. (See James Yawn or Rich Nakka)

Edited by dagabu

Sorry, wont talk flash... if you have to ask, you will only hurt yourself.

As far as ball milling compositions goes; it is never safe to ball mill compositions, period. Not making for an argument here, its just not safe. That being said, I ball mill my BP outside about 100 feet from my house. It can and will go up, it has happened and there are a lot of rules and safety guidelines for this action so don't take it lightly.

If you feel you really need to integrate chemicals, you can use a blade style coffee grinder (one for oxidizers alone) and powder individual chemicals in seconds. Rcandy cannot be made by ball milling, it must be melted in order to precipitate the KNO3 into the sucrose (sugar), what you have is a binary mix. (See James Yawn or Rich Nakka)

Thanks for the perspective.

Skycastle

Indeed, it is never safe to ball mill things. However, when with the proper precautions, it can be fairly safe. It's like saying that driving is never safe. But by following laws, not speeding, drinking, etc., you have a very good chance of coming out whole and hale.

Aieee...DONT BALLMILL THERMITE!!!! If you do, I won't be around to pick up the pieces.

Speaking of metals, I've always wondered if thermite could be ball milled? I'm not planning on trying this, just curious because I've had trouble lighting thermite even with magnesium.

Sorry, missed the termite question. NO!! Never ball mill metals, period!! Sorry to yell but that is like the first rule of ball milling, no metals. In fact, its the first rule of screening as well, no metals.

Thermite is tricky, it needs around 1000° F to start. A stepped ignition is best where an oxidizer is used with the fuel in larger and larger increments until the temperature is reached. You can also grind up a sparkler and try that as a prime.

Dave

Indeed, it is never safe to ball mill things. However, when with the proper precautions, it can be fairly safe. It's like saying that driving is never safe. But by following laws, not speeding, drinking, etc., you have a very good chance of coming out whole and hale.

Aieee...DONT BALLMILL THERMITE!!!! If you do, I won't be around to pick up the pieces.

LOL!

Thanks for that, skydiving isn't safe either but we do that for fun too!

Dave

That is an excellent analogy. I drive for a living and have never caused an accident, but was slammed from behind by septic truck (yes, it was crappy) after sitting at a stop light for several seconds. I can relate that accidents do happen. That’s why I appreciate all safety advice from all of you! Also, I never planned on milling thermite, I just knew it as one of the lesser sensitive binary compounds and thought it might be an anomaly.

Thanks,

Skycastle

That is an excellent analogy. I drive for a living and have never caused an accident, but was slammed from behind by septic truck (yes, it was crappy) after sitting at a stop light for several seconds. I can relate that accidents do happen. That's why I appreciate all safety advice from all of you! Also, I never planned on milling thermite, I just knew it as one of the lesser sensitive binary compounds and thought it might be an anomaly.

Thanks,

Skycastle

I made a lot of mistakes with rockets some years ago and got hurt, I'm a little over reactive to some things that people ask about but am glad that you heard what I said just the same. Stay safe!

Dave

I made a lot of mistakes with rockets some years ago and got hurt, I'm a little over reactive to some things that people ask about but am glad that you heard what I said just the same. Stay safe!

Dave

I hear you loud and clear. Thanks for the advice. I'm a musician and don't want to lose my life or any function of my hands. Thats why I'm on this site. I'm hoping to learn.

-Skycastle