APC Forum

go- getter effect

lokys

I made a few batches of go getters and very happy with the results.I tried different fuses and found out that the pink chinese medium fast fuse also works which is what I used.I don't know if this fuse is a nitrate or a KP based, but There was no foamy reaction at all. This batter comp. dries really fast and you have to work rather quickly.Swirling the batter in your bottle also helps from preventing a skin which clogs up the hole. The camera doesn't pick up the beautifull green colour for some reason.I also made an experimental batch of a 2 colour go-getter. That is, 1/2 the tube was filled with orange and 1/2 with green. When I filmed it with the camera, the colours didn't show, but when I watched it without the camera,I saw both colours.I put them in a 6'inch round shell and now I am trigger happy to see what these things look like in the air. post-10148-128268336323_thumb.jpg

Very nice cookie, Last time I tested my go gettters I tied them in a string, then attached a peice of fuse, and lit them(they hung off a pole) spun around, wanted to check and see if they worked(as i was using a Nitrate flash, slowed down further with -325mesh Spherical Al.) I'll have to replace the spherical Al with Mg/Al. I wanted some nice cheap Gogetters to use as fillers in a shell.

Sometime(if i ever get to my shootsite, been invaded by wasps and im allergic) I would like to see if i can make eather large rolled comets, or filled crossetts of some sort.

I'm curious why colored chlorate compositions shouldn't do go-getters? They burn quite fast, sometimes they swim on the ground, and what if I compact comps in tubes?

if they give enough thrust than they are fine to use just take into consideration what break you use and other stars you may use in there. just think about how you consolidate your comp

BP burst as usual and consolidation will be done with damp hand pressing pressing to activate the binder. Edited by 50AE

BP burst as usual and consolidation will be done with damp hand pressing pressing to activate the binder.

If you're talking about tamping a dampened comp with a binder into a tube, that's more like a colored serpent, isn't it? Basically a small, nozzle-less endburner. I've tried that with various comps, but had problems with the comp shrinking as it dried and pulling away from the tube walls. Go-getter 'batter' has the advantage of sticking to the walls and shrinking into the tube. Perhaps one of the acetone/parlon star comps would work when rammed into a tube?

I always get tripped up on nomenclature, though. In this hobby, there always seems to be 20 different names for subtly varying effects - then add the Italian or Japanese 'original' name and it gets really confusing.

Either way, please pursue your experiment and share the results.

As mumbles said I use KP-based black match harvested from the 'fast paper fuse' that SkyLighter and other vendors sell. There are three individual strands of BM under the paper wrap

Just curious, but why do you say that fuse is KP based? Skylighter GN1205 description says "Gray, Chinese made, 4 mm diameter paper-wrapped black powder fuse." I know KP (and H3) is a powder that is black, but when a pyro supplier uses the specific term "black powder" I take that to mean traditional nitrate BP. Does any vendor actually describe it as "KP"?

pyro suppliers can be as educated as the public remember coloured stars "are " black powder balls as well according to most people that talk to the public. I doubt they have any data on the actual make up of the fuse just that it burns somewhat similarly to black match with no colours or metallic sparks no crackling or flying around

pyro suppliers can be as educated as the public remember coloured stars "are " black powder balls as well according to most people that talk to the public. I doubt they have any data on the actual make up of the fuse just that it burns somewhat similarly to black match with no colours or metallic sparks no crackling or flying around

Point taken Ralph, but if I were using it in an application of known nitrate incompatibility, I wouldn't leave such a thing to chance. So I was looking for confirmation of qwezxc12's statement that it's KP based.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was BP based as advertised on their website.When it comes to fusing go-getters there are more questions than answers.I used the pink medium fast burning fuse and as you can see in the video it worked fine.

If any of you have concentrated sulfuric acid, there's a pretty simply spot test for nitrates. You probably don't even have to filter it for these two. At least allow the solid to settle for the second test. Take your fuse and extract as much of the powder without the paper/string as you can. Mix with some water and place in a test tube. Add some copper wire or shavings, and some sulfuric acid. It might happen right away, but if not some heating will confirm the presence of nitrates from red fumes.

There is also the brown ring test. Take your nitrate solution, and add and equal volume of concentrated sulfuric acid, and allow to cool. To this, add an equal volume of fresh Ferrous sulfate. If there are nitrates, a brown ring will form at the interface of the solutions.

I'd offer to do them, but I really don't know if I have any of the two fuses mentioned. Also, my sulfuric acid is already rather brown.

Point taken Ralph, but if I were using it in an application of known nitrate incompatibility, I wouldn't leave such a thing to chance. So I was looking for confirmation of qwezxc12's statement that it's KP based.

I guess I may be remiss, as I have not personally confirmed it is Perc based.

I think that it is for a couple of reasons: first was a passing mention on Passfire (from who, I cannot recall) that the black match was KP based (and had a flexible resin or gum binder as evidenced by its complete flexibility and resistance to flaking). The other was anecdotal in that compared to BP fuses I had used in my initial attempts at Go-getters, the harvested BM from the fast paper fuse evoked no reaction or foaming in the AP-based Go-getter composition.

It's worked well enough for me (consistently) that I'm not curious enough to test it as Mumbles outline. As always, YMMV

Edited by qwezxc12

the harvested BM from the fast paper fuse evoked no reaction or foaming in the AP-based Go-getter composition.

That would be the test of tests though, no reaction means pot-perc and no BP.

• 1 year later...

Late-comer to this thread so I hope y'all are still monitoring.

Anybody tried any of these formula to make go-getter rockets, as described at skylighter?

Not rockets with a header full of go-getters, but actual little single m-80-style tube go-getters with a bamboo skewer attached, launched as a rocket.

Some of the most fun I've had in ages--but I've yet to try any of the formulae y'all mention here.

Mine's the one Ned Gorski sites at skylighter:

Strontium nitrate 53%

Magnalium 19%

Parlon 17%

Red gum 11%

Bound with methanol.

(Barium Nitrate substituted in same ratio for gorgeous green instead of road-flare red. Magnalium down to -325 mesh works best in the ones I've tried).

Next time I test some I'll try to shoot vids to share.