APC Forum

A different take on

JrayJ

From "The Bean Trees" by Barbara Kingsolver:

"When I thought about it, bieng dead seemed alot like not bieng born yet, and I hadn't particulary minded that."

Since this is Random discussion I though it would be nice to hear some responses to the above quote, personally it changed my outlook on death, just though I'd share it.

Hey, I figure, well, we're all going to die. I try to enjoy myself to the extent of not hurting family, friends, or random strangers. I want to die doing what I love: flying, pyro, eating, skiing, (I'm going skydiving once I graduate with some friends), cooking, etc. But if I do die, guys, here's my last will and testament:

I want a BIG party at my funeral. No weapy, teary crap. I want a party with booze, food, swimming pools, and a mariachi band. But at the service beforehand, I want Mozart's Lacrimosa played. It's so cool.

All my money is to be given to some random, homeless guy( I'm a teenage pyro, I don't have a lot of money).

You guys will all get together, and get to waste all my chems, fuse, hemis, and other assorted crap in one massive, orgasmic pyro party. I will bequeath my ball mill, scale, and mortars to a random person, picked from a hat.

I want to be cremated, and have someone pay NASA to shoot me up in a rocket. Therefore I will be the youngest person in space, or possibly the oldest.

And that's that. Yay.

But I am not afraid of death, it's the manner in which I die that I am afraid of. I don't want to die a horrible, drawn-out death, nor one in which I am in great pain.

So those are my thoughts...I may add more later. I'm off to get compression shorts, and an underarmour shirt, for X-C. Cheers B)

From "The Bean Trees" by Barbara Kingsolver:

"When I thought about it, bieng dead seemed alot like not bieng born yet, and I hadn't particulary minded that."

Since this is Random discussion I though it would be nice to hear some responses to the above quote, personally it changed my outlook on death, just though I'd share it.

Hmmm but being hungry ain't alot like not being full yet. Once you taste the fruit...

Hmmm but being hungry ain't alot like not being full yet. Once you taste the fruit...

Good Point! It's like once you have something (like microwaves or cellphones) it's hard to imagine how you go along without it. But then again I guess you never even got along before you were born... hmmmm

This sort of turns into a religious question in a way. If you believe in an afterlife, it is somewhat different than if you agree with her and believe that everything just stops.

I personally agree with her. While I would rather remain alive than die, my own death does not worry me. It is the cause of harm, death, and/or grief to others, that would ever worry me. As long as I feel like I'm in no risk of dying, I never think about it.

I figure there's three things that can happen after death:

1. Nothing

2. Going to hell

3. Respawn on earth, in a new body.

I'd put (4) going to heaven...but maybe that's too optimistic!

3. Would be cool, even though you'd never even know it even happened. I've had bizzare dreams that I was in a past-life and such, but I'm shure they were just dreams.

My policy is just not to worry about death. Make the most of life, laugh a lot, watch "Dogma" a few times just because it's a sweet movie, and enjoy the beauty of earth (or Michigan, mostly) and the strange creatures that inhabit it.

Granted, my policy only works when thinking about myself so many years down the road... It terrifies me when relatives are fighting potentially terminal illness and such. It's painful to watch and hard to imagine living without that person...even relatives that I'm not exceptionally close to.

Sounds like someone is asking for help on their english homework. No?

Kidding aside, if you believe in the after life then this quote is for you.

If you don't then you might find it odd that the speaker is saying this while he is assumed dead.

Sounds like someone is asking for help on their english homework. No?

Kidding aside, if you believe in the after life then this quote is for you.

If you don't then you might find it odd that the speaker is saying this while he is assumed dead.

Actually I'm not looking for help (it was a past assignment), and what do you mean that the speaker is assumed dead?

I think he means that the way the quote is worded, the writer is implying that she is speaking from experience....especially because she is talking in the past tense ("seemed like").

However, I disagree because the author is more likely talking about the past tense of her own thoughts, not the past tense of her real experiences.

Edited by flying fish