APC Forum

Is this against the law?

laser200

So from what I understand its not illegal to make fireworks for your own entertainment...Correct me if I am wrong. But is it illegal for a convicted felon to engage in making hobby fireworks, black powder, and have chemicals for making fireworks? His crime was not anything violent.

Very hard to tell, where do you live? What kind of crime? How long ago?

You would have to answer a lot of questions before we could help you and that's probably not something you want, I would suggest you contact a lawyer or read up on your countries laws.

I can say this though, a convicted felon will always have a harder time talking his way out of something then a "clean" person has in front of a judge.

Edit, I saw your in Texas, this might help:

http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/fire/fmlifirework.html

http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/fire/documents/fmfirewrkstat.pdf

Edited by andyboy

I'm certain you'll find the answer in the ATF Orange Book.

And when it comes to explosives, it's *somewhat* irrelevant what the State of Texas says.

Federal regulations override the State regulations, *IF* the State regs are less restrictive than the Federal regs.

And this is an educated guess, but if your friend was convicted of a crime which *COULD BE* punishable by a year or more in prison (irrespective of actual time he served) he's ineligible.

But Andyboy is right. Talk to a Lawyer who's licensed to practice in Texas.

I don't think said person can get a federal licence without a lot of red tape, but I don't know of anything that distinctly prohibits said person from engaging in the hobby.

Huh... I thought the Orange Book specifically outlined who cannot even *make* explosives for personal use, let alone get a permit for storage, and that included drug users, the "insane", felony conviction for a crime that COULD BE punishable by a year or more in prison, and non-citizens (with exceptions). Or something like that.

I knew they couldn't get an ATF permit without getting specific relief from them, and that procedure is outlined in section 845, page 8, of the Orange Book.

But talk to a lawyer, it's the only way to be really safe.

What happened to Illinois, my birth State? I got out of there with my guns, chemicals, and other materials any free man should be able to own, and moved to a free State.

Illinois = California, without the latter's delightful climate. I'm not trying to slam Illinois to bug you, Mario; being raised there, I get to criticize, but I feel bad for people there. The entire State is run like Chicago. People in South Illinois are conservative farmer-types, but have no voice at all.

I'm well versed with Illinois as well. I spend plenty of time there visiting family, though it's not nearly as cool as Wisconsin of course. I believe what happened in relation to fireworks is that all of the shooting companies got together, greased some wheels, and got a moratorium against all new explosive licences in the state. No new licences = no new competition.

The ATF agent that visited me said quote "If it's really fun it's probably illegal somehow".

Sign of the times. Unless you have big money, big land or big lawyers, that is.

“Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening.”

Alexander Woollcott

I know in the UK its legal to make around 100g of stuff but not to store it. The police are not interested unless you are annoying other people with the hobby...

There are the separate issues of legality, and getting caught. BUT having already a felony conviction the issues of getting caught become that much sharper and the outcome worse.

However a matter such as discussion of conviction record should NOT be done on a public forum -someone might google it in the next 30 years and once Google has cached it it is permanently available to ALL even if the original source goes down.

For a full and correct answer please consult a legal professional practising in the relevant jurisdiction. OR Speak directly to an enforcing officer ( BATFE agent? ) in the relevant jurisdiction.