APC Forum

Made my first tiger tails But did I mess them up?

stug161

So, I have my mill running, and decided to make a batch of TT. I made a 200g batch without the dextrin, milled for about an hour, then added my 6% dextrin and milled for about ten minutes. When I poured the comp out, it seemed really fluffy, and I think it increased in volume. I have only made colored stars, and D1 So never anything with that much charcoal. I used 25/75 to wet. My concern is, it seemed like I added alot of water, but I felt like it still needed more. I am pumping my stars into a 3/8 tube, then pressing them out with a dowel. So far all my stars are very hard. These seemed to be hard to press into the tube, much more so then my other comps. They also didnt seem to damp when I went back to cut them. SO.. Did I over wet it, and made it hard to work, or does the mix want lots of water? Maybe because it is the first batch I have milled?

Thanks, Robert

It's hard to tell, as you weren't very descriptive in how much water you used. Yes, high charcoal comps are quite fluffy, and do like plenty of water. Normally while pumping you might need upwards of 12% water. Although, you don't pump in an entirely traditional manner, so a bit more may be required.

Another thing that may help is to let the comp sit for 10-15 minutes before pressing. When pressing, I use a defined amount of water based on the comp. I add it all and mix it in. The high charcoal makes it slow to fully absorb, but the alcohol helps. After I feel it's relatively distributed, I press it all into the bottom of my container and let it sit for a while. This helps make sure everything is completely wet. I also then granulate it through a 12 or 16 mesh screen, but that is more to use star plates or help keep it while filling the pump.

My TT are dry now. If I light them on the ground, they mostly just burn slowly, kinda looks like a snakes firework. However,! If I shoot them out of a star gun, they are wonderful. I am very pleased with the outcome. It is a good feeling to follow a formula and come out with a product in the end exactly as it should be. Now if my first shell I built will actually perform as hoped, I can make more with my new TT stars!!

I actually made a few 1/2 pumped stars with the end of the batch. They have been drying for almost a week.. I dont think they have dried yet.. Maybe a few more days, or maybe that is the result of me over wetting the comp. I can light them, and they burn part way through, then I can crush them with a match stick, and it seems that the center is a bit soft still... We will see. If they do dry, I can start making some 3/4 or so for my tails!!

Robert