APC Forum

A Lesson In Safety! Could have been worse.

TheSidewinder

Sorry to hear of any accidents but they are going to happen that you can count on! Minimize minimize!!!!!!!!!!!

Gloves leather,shield; holding only the rammer not the tube what so ever. If you cut any step kaboom...! I make my rammers from "delrin" and they give enough to satisfy me of course one never knows this is why outside only NO holding of the tube rammer is drilled all the way out so no bottoming is possible this is all you can do.This is for BP only.Pressing is more dangerous do to pressures and slipage of rammer on spindle.I have rammed hundreds in fact I only ram.You cant get tails that can't beat rammed motors. I'm closer than anyone to the next explosion its a matter of percentages.Praise the Lord!

• Like 1

There is a saying, there are lies, big lies and then there are statistics.

Just because some careless person steps on the same rake several times, doesn't mean you cant learn from him avoid the rake all together. So your hundreds of motors is more of affirmation of safe practices, than progress towards disaster. IMHO your main risk might be getting careless and forgetting to apply some of your measures.

• 1 year later...
Hmm. It doesn't seem like my being constantly earthed is overkill after all. Static is my biggest personal worry. I screen mix a lot of KCIO4/S mix for igniters, flash for some custom bird-scaring headers ( we won't do into that again!!! ) so I did put a lot of time & effort into ensuring all work spaces & floors are grounded. This includes a fully grounded body strap. Until recently I really did think I was being a dickhead, but really, you can never be too safe. Never

• 3 weeks later...
How would I go about grounding work spaces and floors? Forgive me if I sound ignorant. My work space is on a cement slab. There are some wooden shelves (free standing), a collapsible banquet table with steel legs and a couple plastic file cabinet type units. I'm curious about the grounded body strap too.

Don't worry about the wooden objects, they're horrible static conductors. As to the table, find a reliable ground such as a ground rod, metal water or drain line and run a ground wire that's connected to the legs and surface of your table to one of those.

To help ensure safety, don't mix static sensitive comps in times of low humidity or near static generating devices such as fans, compressors and vacuum cleaners.

Can and will do! The humid weather I would not have considered. Makes sense to me now. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

I have had an accident with explosives before. The accident was not with fireworks but rather a rifle cartridge that malfunctioned. You see when they are in the rifles chamber the explosive gases only can expand down and out of the barrel but this one did not. The accident was caused by a "detonation out of battery" and instead of the gases being forced down the barrel it swelled inside of the case and blew up. It put me out of work for two months while the burns and cuts healed. shrapnel still bubbles up out of my skin years later.

I am thankful for this accident as I have much more respect for explosives than I did before. I believe you must learn from your own accidents and the ones of others too prevent more and to me this reinforces the idea that smacking explosives with metal tooling is not something to take lightly.

• 4 months later...

I'm sorry guys ,I don't know any better place to ask,so, is it true that pvc won't show on exray? I've heard otherwise. I'm a complete noobie here but ,Ive handled black powder most of my adult life,74 and counting yet, as a shooter and ---.I have a great respect for this stuff and i'm wondering about the real cause of the start of this thread. I might have missed it but, could this have happened from shear compression? Sorry for all the questions.

I'm sorry guys ,I don't know any better place to ask,so, is it true that pvc won't show on exray? I've heard otherwise. I'm a complete noobie here but ,Ive handled black powder most of my adult life,74 and counting yet, as a shooter and ---.I have a great respect for this stuff and i'm wondering about the real cause of the start of this thread. I might have missed it but, could this have happened from shear compression? Sorry for all the questions.

It does show up in x rays.

Dave,

Even 'pure' PVC resin shows up with normal contrast methods. But plumbing PVC is loaded with mineral pigments (calcium carbonate, titanium dioxide, etc) that make it darned-near as opaque as bone for radiology methods.

In a prior life, I worked for 22 years inside hospital and clinic settingss with radiologists, radiology techs, and radiation therapy folks. I was a pyro back then, too, so the question came up several times. I got to see actual films of folks who had bits of PVC pipe in them, and even to a NON radiologist, it's quite easily discernible.

LLoyd

Llyod, I currently work in a radiology dept. of a hospital (as IT), and the radiologists always call me to come take a look when a pyro related injury shows up. I was surprised we only had one major injury over the 4th of July holiday period.

One of the radiologists is also a member of my small group buy, so we get to talk about pyro every time he is on shift, heh.

Neat! My company did patient records, patient billing, and (oddly-enough) iso-dose calculations for radiation therapy. (so you can figure out how long ago THAT was! <grin>)

Lloyd

At the on set off this thread it sounded like he was ramming a bp motor.If by chance he gathered enough loose powder in the female part of the ram that it bottomed out on the guide pin, could the heavy compression of the hammer striking the ram have caused ignition. I don't know if this is possible or not. I'd rather take some ones word for it than to try a test myself. I't easier to ask.

Edited by sitas

Shrug... I guess it could. You can't account for all the bad things that can happen from 'casual' use of tools. When using a hollow rammer, two things should be the case:

1) the rammer should have a 'relief hole' at the top of its bore, to help prevent that very sort of thing, and

2) the operator should be inspecting the tool EVERY time before it's inserted in the mold.

Lloyd

Lloyd , thank you for the come back. The very fact that it could be possible will make me approach things with more thought. As an older guy ,I can see where complacency creeps in . The old saying, familiarity breeds contempt," I crossed those tracks a million times and never seen a train ", Oh ya.

FWIW, a relief hole just drilled it diametrically at the top of the bore helps a LOT, but one drilled at about a 45-degree angle from vertical (high on the outside of the rod, lowest where it intersects the bore) will do a lot more to keep the bore of the rod clean.

With the angled hole (larger than the pintle bore), any powder forced up into the relief tends to remain loose, rather than being compacted. It then usually tends to just drop back out when the rod is removed from the mold.

We pressed dozens of different tube-items at the shop, including some 'cored' devices, like what are being discussed. The angled hole allowed some of that to be automated with NO (zero!) failures due to the press-rod clogging-up. We had a very few damaged core pintles (but no explosions, thank goodness!) when we were using a diametral hole, which is why we changed to the angled one.

Lloyd

Edited by lloyd

• 1 year later...

This taken from the "Safety Study of Chlorate Firecrackers" by QIAN Xinming1, ZANG Na1,2, FU Zhimin2 & JIANG Huiling2.

It shows the relative impact and friction sensitivity of chlorate, nitrate and perchlorate firecracker mixes with aluminum and sulfur as fuels, ratios are 70 oxidizer, 20 Al, 10 S. You might be surprised...... !!!!!!!!

gallery_21479_454_29356.png

Edited by Simoski

I would suggest to anyone to read the source of that data, and use some critical thinking to determine how reliable you believe it to be before taking the results at face value.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...