APC Forum

match crackers

spaceraiders

sorry if this is in the wrong section...

im looking for the loudest match cracker anyone know what its called?

Are you talking about the strikable firecrackers that you can buy in countries with relaxed firework laws?

At this forum we discuss building quality fireworks from chemicals of high purity all the while following strict safety guidelines, it is not a place to ask about what pitiful and dangerous devices can be made by scraping match heads. Research until you're blue in the face then come back here with some questions regarding real fireworks.

Oops. Nighthawk, I think he's referring to a type of commercial firecracker that is ignited by striking on a match box cover. They are illegal in the U.S., but are easily found in European countries.

I haven't ever seen any of the really big ones, but I've heard about these as being amongst the largest: Widowmaker, K0212.

Oops. Nighthawk, I think he's referring to a type of commercial firecracker that is ignited by striking on a match box cover. They are illegal in the U.S., but are easily found in European countries.

My mistake :rolleyes:

Don't assume huh?

We had some of those which we let off on Australia day. Not massively destructive, just make sure you get rid fo the stupid thing after you strike it.

I have no idea where you can buy them, but if (and only if) you have experience making salutes, flash and a friction sensitive comp you could make your own. But if you're inexperienced, not a good idea.

I haven't ever seen any of the really big ones, but I've heard about these as being amongst the largest: Widowmaker, K0212.

Widomakers suck ;)

hehe, thanks everyone for replying, i wasnt expecting it tbh

anyone know where i can buy these things online id be very grateful thanks in advance!

You could always treat the end of the visco with a compound sensitive to a match striker pad. The whole concept sounds dicey to me. Why not just light a fuse with a lighter or punk?

Or you could just scrape the material from a (safety) match head, dip the short fuse in epoxy then dip it in the match compound.

Strike anywheres usually have a phosphorous compound in the tip, as well as chlorates, while safeties have phosphorous in the striker.

Probably one of the most potent match crackers is called a "Mega" , illegal but unfortunately easily available, they are well known for their unreliable fusing, going off in 2 seconds or less regularly. The stuff you'll hear rumbling throughout the city are all normal visco fused (Cobra 33, Bomber 99, Cobra 2000, SuperCobra 6). And these all have a flash content of OVER 25 grams. Most of the match crackers are now going off the market, you'll still find the smaller ones like the several versions of the Pirat crackers (Single, triple and six report ones). So overall, if you want power, get the visco fused ones.

hey pretty green flame, could you kindly tell me where i can order these online? id be very thankfull

hey pretty green flame, could you kindly tell me where i can order these online that will ship to united kingdom? id be very thankfull

I see you're in the UK, where (I've heard) they're popular, but ...... online? I'll let a UK member answer that.

You will NOT find them legally in the USA, that's for sure.

hey pretty green flame, could you kindly tell me where i can order these online? id be very thankfull

hey pretty green flame, could you kindly tell me where i can order these online that will ship to united kingdom? id be very thankfull

No way you're getting them online, anywhere.

i THINK i may have found a few polish sites that claim to ship to the united kingdom but what are the odds they will get confiscated by customs?

If they so much as look at thatpackge, 100%.

Due to the volumes involved, not all packages are looked at, so it is a chancy thing.

Another chancy aspect is the chance of one going off in the plane, and unlike the first chancy thing, in this one you are playing with other peoples safety.

I'm happy with people breaking the law to import Ammonium perchlorate or Barium nitrate, but strikable illegal many gram flash salutes through air mail is not so ok in my books.

When I used to live in Bulgaria I and my friends would buy these in 100 cases for a buck a case!

They were the finest thing ever! With a flash content nearing a gram they were LOUD! You could easily find match crackers exceeding 30 g's of Vitamin F for a few bucks each. But buying them online? No way, its legal. If you do find some savor them, I only get to play with them once every few years. And be careful, the low quality ones can explode prematurely, I still have a scar on my finger from when I was 11 and one blew up a millisecond after I threw it.

For those who don’t know match-crackers are, they are the green/yellow pile.

post-9618-1249075882_thumb.jpg

Here is what I got last year In Bulgaria.

The big one with time fuse was extremely disappointing, it was filled with BP!

• 9 months later...
I made a 6mm one the other day,bentonite clay plug granulated b.p slip in a bit of 6mm time fuse then topped the last 4 or 5mm with antimony trisulfide powder,potassium chlorate and wood glue mix, I also made some matches with the left over match comp, they strike off a matchbox,they're supposed to strike anywhere but I don't wanna break the match head.cheers