APC Forum

WOW

Richtee

Was that MPAG I seen and heard last night...45 MILES as the crow flies away?

My GOD they lit the whole northwest sky! There had to be some HUGE shells! Impressive!

Haha...Actually the display shell firing line was kinda slow last night, but they did fire a few 10" (or so?) shells and a nice handfull of smaller ones. From 45 miles, I'm bettin that you saw something else. Perhaps a 10" does go high enough to make up for the curvature of the earth (and the tree line), but there were only like 2 or 3 of them. And from 45 miles it would prolly only look like a tiny dot if anything :).

It was a fun shoot, though the "class C" shooters totally showed up the "class B" shooters this time around!

Edited by flying fish

Haha...Actually the display shell firing line was kinda slow last night, but they did fire a few 10" (or so?) shells and a nice handfull of smaller ones. From 45 miles, I'm bettin that you saw something else. Perhaps a 10" does go high enough to make up for the curvature of the earth (and the tree line), but there were only like 2 or 3 of them. And from 45 miles it would prolly only look like a tiny dot if anything :).

I did not see the shells, but they lit the sky (red and white i seen) and were loud enough to make my dog duck and cover!

I'n sure the low cloud cover helped reflect both light and sound back outwards..

Edited by Richtee

Good point...I'm sure those reflections would help guide the light & sound rather than letting it diffuse into space. Still, 45 miles seems like a long way. You could be right though!

I can't imagine it could have been someone else ;)

It was hot last night. You likely didn't pick up any of the 5" shells from the class earlier in the day, but there were some nice 8 and 10"ers as well as some colossal 1.3 cakes.

Ya should have been there. It was a blast.

Yeah, the cakes were great! Those surely contributed to the lightin up of the sky...There was one good one near the begining and one near the end that musta had some really nice sized shells in it. That last cake especially mighta been what Rich saw flickering back home...

I hate to break it to you guys, but Oxford had their belated "fourth of July" fireworks on the 18th. Lol.

(for those that don't know, oxford is about a mile north of where me and Rich are from)

I hate to break it to you guys, but Oxford had their belated "fourth of July" fireworks on the 18th. Lol.

(for those that don't know, oxford is about a mile north of where me and Rich are from)

Doh! Oh well. Better luck next time I guess.

No shit... OK... that DOES make more sense. Not Oxford having the 4th on the 18th...I mean hearing and seeing stuff so well... Stupid Oxford!

Looked into it it was at the park offa Seymore Lake I guess..about 3 miles as the crow flies.

Edited by Richtee