APC Forum

False information

TYRONEEZEKIEL

I have been really noticing a ton of bad/incorrect/dangerous information on pyroguide. It is a really good website, offers very good information, but really needs to be weeded out. This was where I got my start in pyro, and I want to keep it a good clean site. Anyway, if anyone sees misinformation, post it here, and I will edit it and take out the trash

Lots of useful things there too!

Like all other collected information sites there will be info there that has been superseded on performance or safety grounds, Another site simply flags these as more hazardous. However remember that we live at the edge of hazards -if it doesn't burn it's not a firework!

I completely agree with this- however, it will continue to surface due to PyroGuide because it's open to many people to make changes and modify. I'll read through the flash powders and other sensitive compositions, as I believe mistakes in those will be most critical.

On a different subject, who else wants to see the "anarchists cookbook" gone? Reading, and seeing fools beg for it purely enrages me..

Edit: After looking at several flash powder compositions there is little warning to chlorate and especially permanganate oxidizers. For example; one reads: "caution: This is extremely dangerous and powerful flash powder. Explodes when placed into a small pile and lit. ". That's the kind of statement that attracts a k3wl to make it, not the kind that warns it may detonate if stored or mixed even slightly incorrectly.

Edited by inonickname

I tried to delete the entire permanganate page, as it is useless in real pyro

I tried to delete the entire permanganate page, as it is useless in real pyro

Consider that it's not only on the permanganate specific page, but on other ones such as magnalium flash. Some spruced up warnings about the sensitivity of chlorates and especially with sulfur would not go astray for some newbs.

There is a page for incompatabilities. and I saw what you said about the permanganate. I took that off as well.

I don't like people who ignore the safety, but I don't like either ones who exagerate with it. Pyroguide has both.

For example a quote from (nitrate flash powders)

Caution : Magnesium Flash Is Very Sensitive And May Spontaneously Combust

... :blink:

I'm sorry to say, but I consider this as a SHIT warning. What will a newbie think after reading it? That it's so dangerous so he shouldn't mix magnesium with nitrates ? Jesus !

So I wrote it this way :

Caution : Magnesium flash is more unstable, it decomposes over time and sometimes can spontaneously combust. Coat your magnesium with linseed oil to prevent unwanted reactions

From a rip-off of the anarchists cookbook (absolute crap). It was on instructables I think, but removed by author or community request.

"asides from what people say, nitrogen triiodide synthesised with common ammonia is not very unstable. I have even tried to hit mine with a hammer, and it would not ignite"

Now that's a crap warning. LETS ALL THROW BRICKS AT BIG PILES OF NITROGEN TRIIODIDE LULZ, FOR TEH R K3WL!

Euh, the difference from "anarchist's cookbook" to the pyrotechnic forums is like from the Hell to the Heaven. Edited by 50AE

Euh, the difference from "anarchist's cookbook" to the pyrotechnic forums is like from the Hell to the Heaven.

Yeh, this guy claimed he wrote some of the anarchists cookbook, and.. nitrogen triiodide insensitive? FAILURE.

Maybe I'll go rub some HF on my face, because it's not very dangerous, and light some thermite on my genitals because it's not that hot..

How about a general encouragement to skip the FP salutes and start somewhere else? I am the last guy to moralize and be preachy, but a lot of noobs will find pyroguide in their quest to make a boom-boom. It would be a good opportunity to gently discourage this, and pursue something else.

Again, yes it's moralistic and preachy, but the thing is, guys making bombs (let's not argue semantics, it is what it is) give us all a huge black eye and encourage further crap legislation. It's in OUR best interest to discourage this as well as for the safety of 13 year old Junior who wants to make a pipe bomb and impress his buddies.

Yeh, this guy claimed he wrote some of the anarchists cookbook, and.. nitrogen triiodide insensitive? FAILURE.

Maybe I'll go rub some HF on my face, because it's not very dangerous, and light some thermite on my genitals because it's not that hot..

HAHA HA!! HA! HAHA! OH YES! I vote post of the year

Hey, that would be a good for plastic surgury. Want a slimmer jaw? Just rub some HF on your face! (no, don't, that stuff is scary. My company has an HF lab, the people that go in there wear a full chemical raincoat and face shield)

I looked up "anarchist cookbook" on wikipedia. Says it was written by some teenager in '71 to protest the vietnam war. The guy later regretted writing it, and tried to have it removed from publishing (unsuccessfully). I just think it's sad that there is a whole community of idiots (probably mostly teenagers) that consider the book as their "bible" so to speak. A book that some angry kid hap-hazardly threw together a long time ago.

Edited by flying fish

I forgot to mention as well, the "Preparing Perchlorates" page has some significant errors, the main ones being the ability of DSA/MMO and magnetite anodes to make perchlorate at all... they can't. They can only make chlorates. The only anodes even worthy of consideration for the amateur are platinum and lead dioxide. Otherwise, there's generally good information there.

There are several different forms of the anarchists crapbook, but they're all very similar. The procedures are based on fact, but I can see significant things going wrong if the instructions were to be followed.

Not only does it give poor instructions to misguided individuals, but it also misguides misguided people. For example it encourages you to make letterbombs containing thermite, break into places and steal things and blow up letterboxes. It's shameful, somebody mentions it on instructables and 50 people ask for the book. It has undoubtedly been a part in the death of several idiots.

I have around 250ml of 70% HF in a teflon bottle which I've never opened, and plenty of blue iron oxide and aluminum powder to I could try..

Blue Iron oxide you say...

This is news to me. Is that another name for black ?? (Fe3O4)

Same chemical (Fe3O4), different name. (According to Google, anyway.)

I remember when I tried to get a copy of that POS. I found a ripped copy online somewhere, and everything was so ghetto made and not safe nor efficient or practical by any means.

I got a copy of it online 10 years ago as well. If anything it was an interesting read. I just wish I wouldn't have been involved with gangs at the time and gotten "The Jolly Roger is GOD" tattooed on my forearm. Oh well............

Back in High School (early 70's) I had an actual published copy of it for a time. A friend of mine, at the time, loaned it to me. I gave it back within a couple months.

I remember reading it, and KNOWING that the majority of the recipes in it were either very dangerous, or just plain bullshit. Especially the ones involving any type of firearm and a custom "load" of some sort. In particular, I remember a "12 gauge rocket launcher". I won't go into details, but it involved replacing the 1-ounce (or so) shotload with materials that would have weighed a pound or two at minimum. Can you say "burst barrel"? I sure did.

And that was what convinced me to dismiss the book's contents entirely. Glad I did.

But I'll bet a number of "Darwin Award Candidates" didn't.