APC Forum

Coating Metalls

Greenman

Hi all

I have a quick question, and i found no other thread fitting to my problem so i started a new one.

I am currently having a friend working at a hardware shop, where they make keys. The leftover from the keys are assembeled in bags, and given to me. I know the metall turnings invovles copper, steel and iron. I am also aware that there are other unknown metalls, which i did not recognise by myself (although, i imagine we can exculde metalls like magnesium, because they are not used for making keys). For the sake of safety, i have decided to coat all of it in parafin wax.

So on to my problem: Is my metall mix safe to use in a eventual fountain or gerb mix when coated with wax? Could candle wax be used for coating? My gerb mix will only potassium nitrate as oxidiser.

Is the coating prosedure simply to dump 5% of the metall weight of wax and let the wax melt, then mix it uniformly?

Thanks for Answers!

I did not know if i should post this in newbie section, or in safety section.

Hi Greenman, if I were to venture a guess, the key swarf is probably mostly brass, with nickle-plating for corrosion. If true, that would mean you have an alloy of copper and zinc, with a touch of nickel. Zinc metal is a classic additive to stars, Cu maybe less so, but because it is an alloy, you'll get characteristics of both.

Have you tried a magnet? I may be way off on what the material is, but if a magnet works then yes you have some steel. Steel or iron powder can make some cool effects, but I'm thinking keys are rarely made of steel. I'm not sure, to be honest.

Thanks for reply

So, lets say your all right and the metalls you mention is what i have. Would it be safe to use in a nitrate based fountain composition with wax coating only?

I believe so, yes, but I'd much rather have a more experienced guy answer. The best route when starting out is to follow published recipes from Passfire, here, and other places. Due to the unknown nature of the metal swarf you have, there may be issues that are impossible to predict.

Assuming it's only steel, and brass it should be alright. It's fine with zinc, and fine with copper as far as I know. The coating will add another layer of protection. Fountains are even more forgiving as the composition isn't wetted. I still wouldn't store them for extended period of times, but I think you would be okay.

Good luck. You might try linseed oil as a coating.

Other coating possibilities... thinned polyurethane? It would be a fuel. Very thin NC lacquer? There are a whole slew of corrosion-preventing coatings that are modern and untried that might work exceptionally well.

• 2 weeks later...

Brass plated with nickel, and occasionally silver. The content would be extremely low though. Steel and aluminum are also used, but are uncommon.

A thin oil would do for protecting them. Parrafin is also an option, but will likely not coat it all. I believe a light, flammable (though not dangerous/spontaneously combusting) oil would be ideal.