APC Forum

Convert Mesh to mm between wires ?

whitewolf_573

I have been looking for a supplier of wire cloth in spain to make some bucket screens.

I have found one supplier that sells me the wire cloth in a size of 32 in width ,so i will takea sheet of 16 in long so i can divide it in two sheets of 16 x 16 inch to make 2 sieves of each,one for clorates and one for non clorates.

But the problem is that they don't say what meshes they had, they use the distance between two wires and the diameter of the wire to define the sheet you want (so you sai i want a sheet of 30cm x 30cm , with a 0.84 mm distance between wires and 0.42 mm wire diameter)

I have found some tables that relate the mesh with something called opening and the wire diameter,and i suppose that i have to use that table to know what wire diameter and what opening (i suppose that the opening is the distance between wires) i need to have a 20 mesh sheet for example.

But i see that there are diferent types of openings (Us standard sieve openings and Tyler sieve openings) that differ a bit,so i dont know what i should use to know what opening and wire diameter i have to buy to have 20 or 325 mesh for example.

When we say 20 mesh is 2o wires in one linear inch,but is refered in Us standard or other standard ?

I am reading all i can to know what do , but perhaps you guys can help me a bit :)

Greetings whitewolf

I have found this table http://www.wovenwire.co.uk/plainweave.htm

The supplier said me that i can chose for the wire diameter between 3 mm and 0.025 mm and for the distance between wires between 30 mm and 0.025 mm

For a given mesh and a wire diameter , you have a opening , you can have more than one 8 mesh sheet with diferents wire diameters and openings so i only have to choose the wire diammeter and convert in to mm and send that data converted to the supplier to have the 8 mesh no ?

I also have find this table too http://web.iyte.edu.tr/~sedatakkurt/me488/sieves2.html that i think is useful too