APC Forum

Copper oxychloride synthesis ?

50AE

Well, just mixing CuSO4 and CaCl2 probably gives a blue solution. Blue is [Cu(H2O)6]2+ where as something made with an excess of HCl around or if the solution was very concentrated, it would produce the green [CuCl4]2- As far as why the solution turns dark blue, I'm not sure. Some other sort of complex ion. Things can get screwy when you start tossing oxidizing agents into things like this from a chemical stand point. The water species is not nearly as acidic as the chloride species.

• 2 months later...

I made CuCl2 by adding HCl to some scrap copper and the by adding H2O2 and waited for a week. It became dark brown. I removed the left over copper.

Then I added a solution of K2CO3.

Now what happened was that after a while some light blue precipitated (I thought nice!)

But: After adding some more K2CO3 the precipitated became yellow.

By adding some HCl again everything disappeared back in solution.

But when I put some H2O2 in this solution I get a dark brown trace where the H2O2 solution hits the CuCl2 solution but it changes (while stirring) into a

(light) blue precipitate and I get lots of it.

My Question

Could this yellow precipitate be just copper? I left it to dry in the air and it did not change color.

By adding HCl it becomes CuCl2 again (I guess), now by adding H2O2 does it makes sense that I end op with copper oxychloride?

Edited by pdfbq

• 3 months later...

I'd like to know if there is any way to synthesize copper oxychloride, and is it worth it ? I've seen blue chlorate star formulas using it, I don't know if the blues are good though.

for some reason i cannot post a new topic--told i can only reply so i am posting a few questions

has anyone used nano sized copper metal for blue stars?

has anyone used ground wood that has been treated with various copper compounds --some of the pesticides included with the persevere seem to be organic chlorine compounds in compositions?

i recognize that there are tons of other salts in wood but i thought it would be interesting.

is shellac a good substituter for red gum

i did do some homework on all the questions to no avail

i am really sorry posting a few questions but not being able to post really is a pain

tia

peter

for some reason i cannot post a new topic--told i can only reply so i am posting a few questions

has anyone used nano sized copper metal for blue stars?

has anyone used ground wood that has been treated with various copper compounds --some of the pesticides included with the persevere seem to be organic chlorine compounds in compositions?

i recognize that there are tons of other salts in wood but i thought it would be interesting.

is shellac a good substituter for red gum

i did do some homework on all the questions to no avail

i am really sorry posting a few questions but not being able to post really is a pain

tia

peter

IIRC correctly, the RULES don't allow you to start new topics until you have posted a few times. Read the RULES and it should be in there.

I'm not blasting you, but try to follow the topic in a thread posting. I don't think treated wood is a safe idea, as who knows what COULD be in there...

Read, read, read. And then read some more. There is a lot to learn (a lifetime's worth). Be patient and work your way along slowly and safely.

• 5 weeks later...

I managed to synthesize some copper oxychloride! I'm soooo happy right now.

It burns with a nice blue flame when sprinkled on some paper.

post-10776-0-43867200-1298388382_thumb.jpg

Already started a bigger batch which I'll let stand for a week at least.

Thanks for the tips in this thread.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to revive a dead topic, but I've been trying to make some sort of Copper Chloride recently.

Is there any way to get Copper Oxychloride from the HCl/Cu/H2O2 method without Potassium Carbonate? I can't seem to find it at any local stores according to Google.

Does anyone know how that would be possible without Potassium Carbonate, or a reliable source for one?

Thanks for any help!

If you have an air pump, such as the ones used in aquariums, bubbling air through the solution formed from Cu, HCl, and H2O2 should precipitate oxychloride over time. Otherwise, you will need some sort of base.

If you have an air pump, such as the ones used in aquariums, bubbling air through the solution formed from Cu, HCl, and H2O2 should precipitate oxychloride over time. Otherwise, you will need some sort of base.

I believe Mumbles is right. I'm not sure about potassium carbonate, but potassium hydroxide should be available from soap-makers suppliers and biodiesel supply companies online. Have fun and good luck.

WSM B)

I've already gotten as far as the first bit of the reaction that produces CuCl2. I just didn't know where to go from there. I couldn't find Potassium Carbonate anywhere and would prefer not to pay shipping for something. I think I have an old aquarium pump lying around somewhere though. I'll definitely try that. Thanks!

• 5 months later...

I've been bubbling a bath of 50:50 30% hydrochloric acid and water with copper metal in it for a month now to see if the oxychloride would precipitate without adding any base and it seems to work, but there also seem to be some white precipitate at the bottom.

Any ideas what that could be?

post-10776-0-26636600-1324762553_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Maybe a bit late for post at this topic. But i tried to make copper oxi. After i putted sodium bi carbonate. I let it sit for a while. When it stopped bubbling. I filtert it out. But when i dried it at a cheet it started to bubbel is this normal? It looks like copper oxi

Thanks allot

Pex