APC Forum

'Spontaneous Combustion'

Mindphreak

Yes, D1 is a KNO3 based gold glitter. It's not so much to my liking, but very popular as it doesn't contain antimony trisulfide or other somewhat hard to obtain/expensive components. I misspoke earlier. There is a D(number) perchlorate glitter, but it's not D1.

• 3 months later...

From what I know, mixtures that have the potential to self ignite are :

Chlorate mixtures with sulfates, sulfur, sulfides

Chlorate mixtures with red phosphorus

Chlorate mixtures with ammonium compounds

Permanganate mixtures with... almost everything

Nitrate mixtures with fine magnesium, magnalium, aluminium and other metals maybe (not sure) with the presence of moisture.

Non potassium dichromate coated magnesium powder with ammonium perchlorate

Magnesium with water

Non-linseed oil coated magnesium with other oxidizers.

A new guy and amateur pyro here with a question.

Is a formula with Al 125 microns, Potassium Perchlorate and sulfur a safe mix? I was always under the impression this was rather dangerous. A prompt reply would be very appreciated.

I should have joined this site long ago, very thankful it exists.

perchlorate and sulfur is fairly sensitive you definitely shouldn't mill it or handle it roughly 125micron al is fairly big so shouldn't sensitize it that much it wont spontaneousnessly combust though

If you gave more details it would probably be easier to help. Things such as what kind of formula, and what kind of aluminum play a big role. To be honest though, the only compositions off hand that I know which contain those mix of ingredients are a few select perchlorate glitters, maybe a couple substandard colors, and flash powders. The proportions have just about as much to do with safety as does the chemicals themselves. I'd expect said mix to be relatively sensitive compared to most other compositions.

perchlorate and sulfur is fairly sensitive you definitely shouldn't mill it or handle it roughly 125micron al is fairly big so shouldn't sensitize it that much it wont spontaneousnessly combust though

thanks, that's what I was worried about, I was hoping the large particles of AL would have a stabilizing effect.

If you gave more details it would probably be easier to help. Things such as what kind of formula, and what kind of aluminum play a big role. To be honest though, the only compositions off hand that I know which contain those mix of ingredients are a few select perchlorate glitters, maybe a couple substandard colors, and flash powders. The proportions have just about as much to do with safety as does the chemicals themselves. I'd expect said mix to be relatively sensitive compared to most other compositions.

50 perc., 20 S, 30 AL. no alloy to the al. Any info or guess to why this formula instead of regular flash? thanks

What I meant was if the aluminum was flake, atomized, spherical, etc.

I've never seen that flash personally. Normally that ratio uses potassium nitrate, not potassium perchlorate, and it is almost solely reserved for slow flash in boosting breaks. On it's own, it's really not all that useful for anything but much larger salutes. It also typically uses a much finer flake type aluminum. Perchlorate versions of the flash typically also use much finer flake type aluminums, around -325 mesh, and quite a bit more perc. Sulfur in these mixes does sensitize the mixture to some degree. It's typically only used in larger salutes, and in commercial manufacturing where cost really plays in.

What I meant was if the aluminum was flake, atomized, spherical, etc.

I've never seen that flash personally. Normally that ratio uses potassium nitrate, not potassium perchlorate, and it is almost solely reserved for slow flash in boosting breaks. On it's own, it's really not all that useful for anything but much larger salutes. It also typically uses a much finer flake type aluminum. Perchlorate versions of the flash typically also use much finer flake type aluminums, around -325 mesh, and quite a bit more perc. Sulfur in these mixes does sensitize the mixture to some degree. It's typically only used in larger salutes, and in commercial manufacturing where cost really plays in.

I don't know the AL structure. I do know it is being used in a commercial application where cost is important. My concerns of safety are assuaged, thanks very much for the answers.

Well, you're going to want to figure out what kind of aluminum it really is. If it's atomized, I have my doubts if it will really work at all. Even with flake I'd be a little doubtful. The sulfur in there probably make it more sensitive than using normal 70:30 with german dark. You also have to remember that in commercial settings they've weighed the risks, and know what they're doing. I suggest being fully prepared on both counts.

• 3 weeks later...
Sodium benzoate and KClO3 is not safe but no it will not spontaneously combust and should only be made by very experienced people it is very sensitive to friction and shock

• 5 months later...

Such as?

The other day made these brilliant stars with MgAl and Iodine they burn relay bright and quite beautiful , I always seem to go through them really fast though because when it comes to making a shell from them there are never any around

like i said in my first post, although it isn't a pyro chem, alot of comps involving iodine are prone to spontaneus combustion

I've had one incident with a spontaneous combustion happening to me. It was when I made the comp that burns green and ignites with water. I think it was a mixture of zinc, table salt and ammonium nitrate, not really sure.

But I had 3g of it sitting on a piece of thick cardboard in my hand, inside while I was about to carry it outside. On my way out I met my mother and we said "Hi!" to each other. I think that what happened, was that when I said hi, a little blob of water from my mouth landed on the 3g. of comp and ignited it! I immideatly dropped it on our stone floor in the kitchen... I wasn't hurt in any way, but I had to clean the floor up from the residue. Took me at least an hour lol...

I'll never make that crap again, I must admit that I thought it needed much more water than a tiny blop from my mouth from saying "Hi!"... haha

Nitrogen triiodide doesn't combust. Explosions don't always make fire.

The "green" comp is what happens when you play around with chemicals without understanding the risks. You pretty much discovered Negative-X on your own. Zinc is very prone to attack by acids, electrolytes, and ammonium salts. All of which were contained in your comp.