APC Forum

Coffee Grinders

firetech

I've been meaning to buy a coffee grinder to get things down to size in star comps...how does it compare to milling?

It gets stuff fine quicker than a ball mill, but a ball mill will get it into a smaller particle size. For large amounts of chemicals I would rather put it into a blender however, or a meat grinder if it is charcoal.

Be sure to have a separate coffee grinder for oxidizers and fuels, as dust will collect into most grinders. Do not put chlorate in it, and don't grind up fuels that are going to be mixed with chlorates in a coffee grinder for that reason. I know of someone having his coffee grinder being engulfed in flames because he used the same one for both fuels and oxidizers.

Any idea what mesh it is? When I grind in my mortar and pestle I grind the chem until I cannot feel any coarse grains left over and it is the consistency of flour.

I think everybody at some point in their careers has labored with a mortar & pestle until their arms ache, and the result still isn't on par with the airfloat dust a good ball mill can create. I've only tried coffee grinders once or twice... I personally don't like the concept. Whirling steel blades, only a small amount of comp, and the price is not that cheap. Those things can get HOT pretty quickly and aren't made for sustained use.

Honestly, a decent ball mill is the way to go, and one can be made for the price of 3 or 4 cheap coffee grinders, which will eventually burn out anyhow. You don't have to buy one of those $350 pyro mills.

KNO3 is about the only thing I break up in mine. I can get it to pass a 60 mesh. I warn you from experrience that -60 is not fine enough for stars. It really needs to be milled. You will get all sorts of fall out in glitters and charcoal streamers. You'll be able to feel a bit of grit. -60 is fine for pulverone (granulated green meal).

Oh god, I broke the blade of mine today, because I overestimated it, trying to mill non hammered SGRS. These grinders are just toys. :( I'm getting a jar for ball milling with STEEL BALLS. I'm tired of using these grinders.

50AE get one of these they should last you forever:

http://www.buythebullet.com/

They run about 30 bucks here , might be more expensive in Europe though.

With one you can mill fuels, Oxidizers and everything!