APC Forum

Gardening Thread

Ventsi

My roommates and I have two 4x18 foot raised beds we built last year. I convinced 'em to go organic- the first year's soil amendments got things started, and we're letting one bed lie fallow after we dig a bunch of horse poo in. Probably cover it with hairy crown vetch or rye.

Tomatoes:

Early Girl

Mr Stripey

Cherokee Purple

Caspian Pink

Brandywine

And a local unnamed heirloom grown by a family since the 1860's

All planted nice n deep with some bonemeal mixed into the backfill.

Peppers:

Gypsy

Lady Bell

Another green bell

Ancho

Jalapeno

Chocolate pep.

We've used organacide in the past, I remember it worked pretty well. There are a few other options as well- tobacco "tea" from leaves or cig butts, as well as whatever the chemical is that comes from marigolds.

Edited by jwitt

I've got a small "grow-op" of veggies getting started in my basement.

Roma and Early Girl tomatoes

Cucumbers (pickling)

Red Bell peppers

Green peppers

Bolivian Rainbow peppers... medium hot but very small. Cool to se them go from purple (growing) to yellow/orange/red.

Onions of some kind

The rest of what I grow will be planted directly... beets, carrots, beans, more cucumbers

I make a lot of dill pickles and Salsa each year, as well as pickled beets and tomato pasta sauce.

I've got a small "grow-op" of veggies getting started in my basement.

We had a neighborhood gardener insulate their whole three stall garage a few years ago and grow veggies there. On a routine flyover, a DEA plane recorded a "Plume" of heat coming from his house and a week later with no knock warrant, broke the side door in and stormed the house.

It was in the afternoon on a Thursday and the whole neighborhood was outside grilling, biking, whatever and we all migrated over to see what was happening. The DEA guys all came out and were taking their stuff off and the home owner was yelling at them and throwing veggies at them that the DEA uprooted looking for drugs.

Star Tribune has the article.

The neighbor gardens outside now... :)

We had a neighborhood gardener insulate their whole three stall garage a few years ago and grow veggies there. On a routine flyover, a DEA plane recorded a "Plume" of heat coming from his house and a week later with no knock warrant, broke the side door in and stormed the house.

It was in the afternoon on a Thursday and the whole neighborhood was outside grilling, biking, whatever and we all migrated over to see what was happening. The DEA guys all came out and were taking their stuff off and the home owner was yelling at them and throwing veggies at them that the DEA uprooted looking for drugs.

I'm surprised that didn't result in a lawsuit in the good 'ol USA. Good thing I've only got a single light going in the basement. We don't have DEA up here, and AFAIK the police are backed up busting real grow-ops, I'm not too worried.

Oh, THAT is something I want to read, lol.

What was the date? A search of +DEA +Vegetable didn't turn anything up. :D

Bwahahahahalaugh2.gif I SO want to read that. Please provide the article, or I will be forced to kidnap all your chemicals until you provide it.

I don't garden much, but my mom does. She has the raised beds for the veggie and her garden--about 6 of em about 2ftx15ft. Also a ton of fruit-blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, apple, pear, plum. I will have to provide pictures sometime; looks like crap right now with barely anything growing....

Oh, THAT is something I want to read, lol.

What was the date? A search of +DEA +Vegetable didn't turn anything up. :D

Look up Anoka drugs garage, Ill have to see if I can find it at home, I am blocked from using some words on the search engine here. Al I come up with are two advertisements...

2005-2006.

D

Edited by dagabu

Hrmph...

I tried their archives search from 2004 to 2008. No hits on +anoka +drugs +garage unfortunately. Let me know if you have any better luck.

Back on topic we go :whistle:

Just put some potatoes, tomatoes, sweet red paprikas, onions, garlic and some white beans (Baked beans with some grilled food....mmmm) into the ground, that's for human consumption. Also put some sweet corn into the ground for some ethanol making experiments :D

Back on topic we go :whistle:

Just put some potatoes, tomatoes, sweet red paprikas, onions, garlic and some white beans (Baked beans with some grilled food....mmmm)

So when Slovenia and USA make it out of their group in the world cup, I just make BBQ and baked beans for the celebration, no gulash? B) We have the same food halfway around the world- it's kind of funny!

Maybe I'll make gulash soon anyway since I have a big piece of beef that needs to be cooked.

Are your paprika peppers like bell peppers, or something different?

I'd like to know more about those, I like making east european food.

Edited by jwitt

So when Slovenia and USA make it out of their group in the world cup, I just make BBQ and baked beans for the celebration, no gulash? B) We have the same food halfway around the world- it's kind of funny!

Maybe I'll make gulash soon anyway since I have a big piece of beef that needs to be cooked.

Are your paprika peppers like bell peppers, or something different?

I'd like to know more about those, I like making east european food.

The red peppers I'm growing look like this, exactly the same.

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_229/1201471510mtc8mk.jpg

These are fantastic when grilled (untill they turn black, then they are peeled) and with some garlic/parcley/oil mix dribbled over them :D

Gulash is more of a cold weather dish, during the summer the humble grill is the preffered way of cooking :D

I remember doing the EXACT same thing with my dad when I used to live in Bulgaria, fresh picked and everything, they are amazingly good., Ohhh the torture!