APC Forum

Dragon eggs

TYRONEEZEKIEL

I made my first batch of dragon eggs, using the formula :

70 Pb3O4

17,5 MgAl

12,5 CuO

I moistened them with NC lacquer and cut them, but they didn't work, they just flashed.

The next day I tried to add more NC to the mix and it does the same thing. :( Small 1mm granules don't burn, but get in a powder state after igniting, and pea sized granules just pop with a flash.

The problem I think is that they aren't dense, some pieces of them are in a sponge form. They are really hard to cut. The mass of composition is flaky and horribly sticky. I only have 1mm sieve, I don't think they will get big enough to pop. If I have to granulate them, I must find a coarser sieve.

Edit : Also, I don't get it what 10% NC means. Do I have to add by weight +10% pure NC or it's +10% lacquer ? Or I eyeball it ? The first time I added 0.8 grams of nitrocellulose dissolved it 10 grams of acetone for 20 grams of composition. The second time I added another 0.5 gr of nitrocellulose.

Edited by 50AE

50AE your mgal might be to fine it needs to be fairly corse for it to work properly just like with glitters that have mgal

My MgAl is very mixed. I got maybe 150 mesh MgAl mixed with very fine 600 mesh MgAl. I can see the shiny particles in the mix, but some of them are also airfloat I will try to screen my MgAl with the -400 mesh and try again. Edited by 50AE

My MgAl is very mixed. I got maybe 150 mesh MgAl mixed with very fine 600 mesh MgAl. I can see the shiny particles in the mix, but some of them are also airfloat I will try to screen my MgAl with the -400 mesh and try again.

I've never made dragon eggs with lead, only bismuth, but I've successfully used 100mesh and 200 mesh MgAl.I wouldn't bother with the 400 mesh screen. Try using a 150 mesh and use only what is retained on the screen.I have a batch mixed with 60mesh MgAl, but haven't got around to cutting or granulating.

The problem is I don't have these screens right now. I've got only -400 mesh and -15 mesh ones. I will let the dragon eggs project for later, when I get some screens.

• 3 years later...
So I am gonna revive my old thread here. I tried using these in a matrix streamer comp. I pumped 3/8" stars but all I get is an occasional flash. certainly no pop. I mixed these stars into the streamer comp 20:80 and have not had much success. Has anyone else tried these?

So I am gonna revive my old thread here. I tried using these in a matrix streamer comp. I pumped 3/8" stars but all I get is an occasional flash. certainly no pop. I mixed these stars into the streamer comp 20:80 and have not had much success. Has anyone else tried these?

Question did you seal the dragon egg micro stars with wax or something? If not that's your problem.

BJV

If you use adequate NC lacquer they don't need to be coated in anything. I use green mix and it works and a very knowledgeable guy who worked for a company who made thousands of pounds of Dragon eggs and don't coat them.

What kind of NCL are you using? Are you using the red lead or bismuth? I have used bismuth in the following formula but I think people have used red lead successfully as well:

37.5 bismuth trioxide or subcarbonate and maybe red lead

37.5 black copper oxide

25 MgAl (200 mesh)

If you light an egg with a torch what does it do? Does it glow red and go out? Does it make a bunch of little pops that sounds like crinkling plastic wrap? DE have a smolder and a flash phase. The flash is when they pop. If t they glow red and never pop the MgAl is to coarse and you need to use finer. It may just need a portion replaced with finer and just takes experimenting. If they makea bunch of little pops from one egg then the MgAl is too fine and you need more coarse.

You also need to add plenty of NCL. If you are using 10 percent you need to add it until it is like pancake batter and then let it dry out some until it can be worked with. I cut them in about eighth inch cubes which is a bit of a pain because they need to be broken apart once dry. But they work and one will glow red for maybe 2 second or a little less and explode sounding like a "Black Cat" fire cracker or even a .22 bullet.

I also use double base smokeless reloading powder to make my NCL. 10 percent would be 10 grams powder in 90 g Acetone w/w or some people use 10 g powder in 90 ml of acetone w/v. The 90 ml will be thinner than using 90 g so will bide wasting a little more acetone but people make it both ways and it works fine.

Edited by FlaMtnBkr