APC Forum

Firefly vs. 20 Mesh Flitters

swervedriver

If you were making a choice between 10-12 mesh Firefly K-102 or 20 mesh flitters types of aluminum, which would you choose? I'm placing an order, and I want to buy just one of these two sizes of Al. More compositions call for the 20 mesh as far as I can tell, but the firefly effect videos I've seen look pretty awesome. Any advice is much appreciated, gotta order from skylighter by 12 midnight tonight though...

You should consider ordering some of that firefly aluminum from Steve M, he sells a firefly mix which is 50/50 K-101 and K-102. It's more along the lines of exactly what shimizu's formula calls for. My understanding is the firefox/sl flitters (german dark flitters) is that you will have to sieve out the coarse stuff to use it for firefly. Mumbles mentioned doing that with some and getting very nice firefly effects.

Steve M has an ad in the back of the PGI bulletin, or you can contact him on passfire.

Yep, this first mine has the stars in it.

http://www.apcforum.net/Mumbles/sept.wmv

I screen it over a 30 mesh screen. There is actually a fair bit retained. I didn't quite get all the fines out, but you can see the nice transformation. Some people have had trouble with the K-102 due to how thick it is. I've read several reports of it not lighting very well if the formula isn't right. I personally like the -20 mesh flitters. I think it's more versatile than the transmet product personally, but either will give lots of fun.

Great info as usual guys, thanks. The mix from Steve M sounds good, I'm going to try him. I went ahead and got some ferrotitanium instead of the flitters from SL, so it's willow diadem here I come. I have to say, skylighters half off everything sale with the three bonuses was to sweet to pass up, I picked up some tools and stuff too at half off. Nice!

I have to admit I couldn't pass it up either. I'm sure that generated allot of orders over a short period of time. I hope they were still able to turn a profit on it though.

I actually ordered twice, there was some more stuff I couldn't resist - like end discs and that paper fuse. Orders were about 24hrs apart, and there were 278 orders between the two. I bet it's going to be a while on packing those up!

I actually ordered twice, there was some more stuff I couldn't resist - like end discs and that paper fuse. Orders were about 24hrs apart, and there were 278 orders between the two. I bet it's going to be a while on packing those up!

Twice, lol :D did you get six bonuses??? That's using your melon, I never thought of placing more than one order.

I told them not to double up - no need to be greedy.. I've already got 15lbs of red gum on the way as it is from the passfire group buy!

• 5 months later...
hey guys i have been tring to find out exactly what firefly aluminum is. I ordered 12 micron bright flake... is that coarse enough for any cool glitter or firefly effects? I was just wondering what the actual grade of firefly aluminum is. Some of the places i order chems from have good deals on aluminum and say all the micron and mesh sizes but dont say what it is used for. What specs identify firefly aluminum other than the word "Firefly". Either way ill use the al i orderd for slow flash burst or something. Thanks guys.

For firefly you should have something way coarser, 12 micron is near flash grade stuff. The right aluminium for firefly is 500 um or probably even coarser.

If you can find out the name of the grade/manufacturer, firefly is made by Transmet and are grades K-101 and K-102. The -20 mesh flitters are made by Eckart (I think), and is grade 41813. They are pretty coarse. I don't know the mesh distribution, but they approach 1-2mm is diameter at their largest.

if its that coarse would aluminum shavings from a shop saw work or even the shavings from drilling it? I work in a metal shop so if shavings would work it would be cheaper than buying it.

They very well could. The -20 mesh stuff from Germany is actually relatively thin. It's far thinner than Al foil. The firefly stuff made by transmet though is pretty thick though. Thicker than Al foil. It looks like they sliced it up with a knife. It's very rectangular. It should in theory work. I'd wash it with soap and water to remove any oil. I'd then screen it over a 30 mesh screen to remove any fines. People have had trouble getting it to light, but with the correct formula, you shouldn't have problems.

next time i get a chance im gonna save all the bits from drilling a large bore hole. drilling small holes in block alum tends to make a coil looking peice, but when you get larger than 5/8 and dont apply enough pressure to the drill press it looks like flakes of aluminum coming off the bit. :D Ill write back on how it works... but for now we dont have any alum work its all steel. It may be a while until i get to drill aluminum.