APC Forum

Offset Spiking templates for canister shells

qwezxc12

Not exactly a tutorial, as there are plenty out there (Passfire's being the best, I think), but I thought this was the best place to host templates for off-center spiking on canister (cylindrical) shells. I drew these up in MS Visio and saved as a pdf. There are three templates, one on each page:

4in - 16 vertical strands

5in - 24 vertical strands

6in - 32 vertical strands

I printed them out on manila card stock and use the templates to mark my cans before spiking, but you could always use ordinary paper, cut them out and afix them directly to the shell end-disks as well.

(edited 'cause I can't count)

4_5_6_can_spiking.pdf

Edited by qwezxc12

• 3 months later...
Not exactly a tutorial, as there are plenty out there (Passfire's being the best, I think), but I thought this was the best place to host templates for off-center spiking on canister (cylindrical) shells. I drew these up in MS Visio and saved as a pdf. There are three templates, one on each page:

I printed them out on manila card stock and use the templates to mark my cans before spiking, but you could always use ordinary paper, cut them out and afix them directly to the shell end-disks as well.

(edited 'cause I can't count)

Any chance you can make up a template for 3in - 12 vertical strands?

Any chance you can make up a template for 3in - 12 vertical strands?

Yeah 3" would be nice.

Ok guys,

I added to the template. I do not personally make 3in cans, so I guessed on the OD at 2.5". The pdf now has:

3in - 12 vertical strands

Hope it helps you out.

3_4_5_6_can_spiking.pdf

OK how about an 8" please? I ain't just ain't a kiddin' either! I was going to use the five inch and clock it half way and then extend the lines. 7-1/4" still fits on the paper. The 6" was quite handy so thanks for that! :P

Mark

Ok guys,

I added to the template. I do not personally make 3in cans, so I guessed on the OD at 2.5". The pdf now has:

Hope it helps you out.

Ok guys,

Hope it helps you out.

Thanks. 2.5" will be perfect for me as that is the size of former I use.

OK how about an 8" please? I ain't just ain't a kiddin' either! I was going to use the five inch and clock it half way and then extend the lines. 7-1/4" still fits on the paper. The 6" was quite handy so thanks for that! :P

Mark

Mark,

What's the vertical strand count on an eight? I'll make a template if you promise to make and shoot an eight inch can!

Mark,

What's the vertical strand count on an eight? I'll make a template if you promise to make and shoot an eight inch can!

Fulcanelli calls out 48 verticals and a 7-1/4" disc is required. I am making this baby from the ground up and after tomorrow I will have lots of time as my job went out west and no job for the near future---just pyro and fishing--- oh darn! I made my own end discs now by laminating .025 chip board with sodium sylicate and held under 20 tons for 2 days. I cleaned out my old pics and stuff to make room for new so I will utilize the gallery for pics.

On an up note I was told that I could still come back to the shop and use their equipment for personal use. I am talking milling machine and lathe. I scored some plastic so I may make my own star plate. But first is a former for the 8".

As far as shooting it, well lets see now the wife goes into shooters cert. this month where on completion she will be handed the torch and I get the camera back then maybe I can post some fricken video for once!

The only thing holding me back from a promise is a piece of gun to check the final fit. I have a habit of building them with not much room to spare! With all that said I promise!

You have the easy part, but I have the fun part :D

• 2 months later...

Could you possibly make a one for a 2" shell (1.5") with 10 verticals?

I Could never get my multi-breaks laying on top of each other, I think my spiking was to blame.

Edited by nick2354

Just stuff some newspaper in between the breaks to even them out. Some will say that a good multibreak shouldn't stack flat, mine never do. I also use a non-traditional technique, where I paste each break before assembling.