APC Forum

Pyro uses for stearin

Pretty green flame

Ok so i really didn't know where to put this but here goes.

Well, what uses does stearin have apart from coating metal powders. I've heard that it's used when you want a long burning flame.

Stearine is a fully saturated wax which can be used as an additive for compositions to reduce their friction sensitivity. It’s traditional use is in candle making, and can be used as a fuel when a long flame is desirable.

Does anyone here have any particular formulas that use this chemical.

Thanks for you replies.

Not really a formula per-say but you could add some Cupric Chloride to it and coat pine cones with the mixture. It'll make your next campfire pretty.

I've seen it as a low temp burning fuel in some blue and purple compositions. Similar to how lactose is used I imagine. That might be a place to start looking. Joel Baechle uses it a lot in "Pyrocolor Harmony, A Designer's Guide by Joel Baechle". It is usually either in combonation with Paris Green, or chlorowax unfortunatly.

A lot of people also add a few percent to any start they are pumping. It helps to lubricate the star. It also extends the time you can pump without having to go and clean the pump itself.

• 2 weeks later...
I also use it in my smokedevices as it makes for a much longer burntime with thick and dense smoke which I find to be superiour to the ordinary melted SS mix.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, smoke devices with stearin (paraffin wax is what was written on my box from safeway) are great.

3:3:2

kno3:powdered sugar:grated stearin

• 3 weeks later...

yeah stearin is a derivative of stearic acid

its formula is CH3(CH2)16CO2H...

i think its really just stearic acid with 3 fatty acid groups attached

technically its an ester of glycerol

its just a fat, so its increases burn time, and smoke

ive also heard that it enhances colors on the cool side of the light spectrum, but have never used it for this

just remember its not soluble in water or alchy

~Arete

a wise man once said "find a chemical for a use, not a use for a chemical".

Maybe I'm confused, but isn't that a poison gas? I probably am, I haven't slept in like 2 days.

You're thinking of Sarin.

There is one thing that people may watch out for. Stearin and Stearic Acid are often times used to describe the same product. They are infact different. Stearic acid is, well stearic acid. Stearin is the glycol ester of stearic acid. The desired product is stearic acid. They would probably behave similarly in compositions, but stearic acid is still the one refered to in compositions whether or not it is called stearin or stearic acid.

• 2 months later...