APC Forum

ID yet another mystery chem

Swede

The order was for Co(NO3)2 and (NH4)2CO3. I think they were worried about the former which is a nasty compound and carcinogenic to boot. The latter is more of an irritant than anything else. I want the Co especially for some doping experiments with alumina, gamma AlO(OH) which is supposed to form microtubules. The volume of the alumina (on a per gram basis) is enormous, and it can act as a carrier for just about any soluble catalyst known. The trick then is to bake or sinter the loaded alumina and turn it into an anode.

It's a long shot. But Tin, Cobalt, Bismuth, Niobium, Palladium, Lead oxides/dioxides can all be carried by the alumina, and some interesting experiments carried out.

I've put my good sulphuric (clean lab stuff) into a 2 liter FEP bottle, and the grunge stuff (Rooto) into HDPE.

Within reason according to WHOM? Some limp-dick Federal Bureaucrat?

The stench of Big Brother seems to have transferred to the private sector.

No kidding... <_< Very disturbing. We are turning into a nation where the individual is looked upon as an evil entity, and only a giant corporation could possibly have need, or have motives that are positive. Again, it's those GD DMNed meth cooks that have ruined it for all of us. Die tweakers.

In my letter, I said "25 years ago you could buy a real chemistry set with real chemicals, and a kid could actually perform chemistry. Now, the best you can find are 'magic grow crystals' and 'synthetic snow' along with two test tubes, and a plastic microscope made in china, with three pre-prepared slides." Man I was hot.

Anyone who is older than 45 can remember as a kid, walking into a hobby store, and seeing a huge rack FULL of REAL chemicals in those little square bottles. No, it wasn't KCN in a jar, but it was legit chemistry.

Edited by Swede

I had a discussion with a shop owner just yesterday, they still sell chemicals in a back room with limited stock (HCl 31%, H2SO4 96%, HNO3 53%, GAA, acetone, toluene, NaOH, KOH, soda, bicarb... and lots of stuff for wine making + canning). They also cater to small industry like one-man electroplating companies, and they can order from a regular chem supplier for them (and me), but those people are anal. Could not get sodium nitrite cause it's a poison (don't mind it's in every salami), now the formaldehyde wasn't shipped cause it is "pharmacy only" and silver nitrate is "prescription only". :angry:

She didn't like that either, and we both went on a rant about the good old '80ies when the shop still sold KNO3 in 5-pound cardboard boxes labeled "pickling salt" or something, and had chlorate in 100-pound drums, they sold it by the kilo for 2$ as a weed killer. I told her most of what I got went into high power rockets for a school project (2" dia x 15" long all-metal motor made of tungsten alloy). We also agreed that chemistry sets are shit today, and guess what? The silver nitrate was for a *policeman* who got a chem set for Xmas and wanted to upgrade. They didn't let him... :P

But the shop is cool, both she and her husband have no problem with me walking out of there with two liters each of nitric, sulfuric and glycerin. Probably because I keep coming back since 25 years ..... ;)

Boomer, it's good that you have that sort of relationship. Anyone, if you are interested in chemistry and can cultivate a relationship with a firm like that, do so. Every experimenter needs a supplier that will not question every single little thing that you are interested in.

• 3 months later...

Swede, excuse me for invading this thread with my homework questions :P

I'm having a slight problem with this question.

"The sample is not soluble in any of the mineral acids but it is soluble in HNO3 if we add some Boric acid, a flame test shows presence of calcium in the sample. Which chem is in your sample? Write down the equation for disolving of your sample"

I trully have no idea what could this be, but I something tells me that i'll feel stupid in a short while :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help guys.

Oh boy... CRC has the following Ca compounds as being soluble in HNO3, but insoluble in water.

Ca arsenide

Ca boride CaB4

Ca Iodate Ca(IO3)2

Often when CRC lists something as soluble in an acid, it refers to hot acid.

Given the Boric Acid thing (H3BO3), I'd vote for Ca Boride, CaB4. Describing the mechanism, though, may be tough because Boron forms so many different species in different environments. Tetraboric acid, H2B4O7, a dehydration product, may be a part of the process. You may end up with calcium nitrate and a mash of different Boron ions.

I am truly guessing. Maybe someone else can help. The guys at SMDB would know. Mumbles?

Edited by Swede