APC Forum

video camera for mounting in model rocket

Yankie

I want to install a small camera into my big project (a 3 stage 4lb BP model rocket) I had a look on ebay and all I could find were cameras which send the signal wirelessly to a recorder. If the rocket goes to plan I beleive it will acheive an altitude greater than the transmitting range of the camera. Does anyone know any long distance transmitting cameras or ones with built in recording. I have a budget of around $50AUD, though if theres nothing cheaper I might pay a bit more. If all else fails I might put my mobile phone in, though I don't really want to risk breaking it.

Why can't you just to a recovery system for the rocket and camera? If need be you can figure how high the rocket will go with the thrust of the rocket and reduction of weight after the progressive burn and dropping of the dispensed engine. Then get a weather balloon with a string as high as the theoretical altitude is and then it should come right back down. Just attach the string to the launch lug. I've thought of doing this for a while.

Um, I am not quite sure how that answers my question but it is a good idea, I might try it with a smaller rocket.

I found some spy cameras hidden in pens or chewing gum packets on ebay which look pretty good.

Cool (not Kewl) . . one of my pet peeves.

I love camera rockets !

I haven't done it yet - (except for a quick experiment) - that's project # 7621 for me . . .

My thoughts :

Expect the worst - a crash.

Possibly look for a used camera on ebay or such so you won't be out of a lot of money if it gets destroyed.

Shouldn't be too hard to come up with a used camera for $50.

Stay away from the cheapo's - I bought this from a local CVS : >>>Camera<<<

It was wasted money - I did launch it but the video had such poor resolution, it wasn't worth sqwat.

Build the rocket & launch it with a dummy payload (same weight as the camera).

Have a good idea how the rocket is gonna fly before you load the camera into it.

Keep us posted - I wanna see how this works . . .

post-8830-1226247409_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arqwat

Um, I am not quite sure how that answers my question but it is a good idea, I might try it with a smaller rocket.

I found some spy cameras hidden in pens or chewing gum packets on ebay which look pretty good.

I mean why do you need it to be wireless. Unless you mean wireless as in battery powered.

I mean why do you need it to be wireless. Unless you mean wireless as in battery powered.

Ok I will try and explain. I want a camera which is jsut a single unit, the ones on ebay have a camera and that wirelessly transmits a signal to a reveiver and stores the data on the receiver, So then when you want to watch the video you get it from the receiver. But once the camera exceeds 200 metres then it will no longer transmit and the video does not record. So I was looking for a camera that has inbuilt memory and recording function so it does not need to send a signal back to a base receiver.

I am going to go an have a look in Adelaide in the spy shop they have.

Ok I will try and explain. I want a camera which is jsut a single unit, the ones on ebay have a camera and that wirelessly transmits a signal to a reveiver and stores the data on the receiver, So then when you want to watch the video you get it from the receiver. But once the camera exceeds 200 metres then it will no longer transmit and the video does not record. So I was looking for a camera that has inbuilt memory and recording function so it does not need to send a signal back to a base receiver.

I am going to go an have a look in Adelaide in the spy shop they have.

Fred,

I think you'll be quite surprised at how well the transmitter/receivers work when you have a free line of sight. If you homebrew a helical antenna for the receiver, and point it by-hand at the rocket, you will get even better reception.

If you mount a cheap transmiting camera on the rocket and use a decent Rx aerial and point the aerial in the direction of the rocket you should achieve huge range, due to the free space round the Tx unit and the higher gain of the improved aerial. You could also use the Tx and directional aerial as a recovery location system. Put a decent camera in and you WILL want it back!