APC Forum

Help to remove gray metallic paint coat from a PC case.

50AE

One of my hobbies is PC case modding, and I have an iron case that I want to paint. To let the paint stuck well to the metal, I must remove the gray metallic coat. The most used method is sanding with sand paper, but I can't do it in most places of the case, because there are little holes, sharp edges, etc. So I was wondering if there is any liquid that can remove this paint without reacting with the iron.

Yesterday I tried with HCl and I knew it will attack the iron, but I said to myself that if I'm able to wash it immediately, I would prevent it. Unfortunately, the next day I had rust. I removed it with a solution of citric acid.

So I'm thinking of this if I can't get any other reagents :

1. Sink the case in HCl solution, get the paint off.

2. Wash it with a baking soda solution.

3. Wash it with water and dry it.

What do you think ?

Hmm...well, depending on what the coat is... I'd think any of the stronger organic solvents should do it. Acetone, MEK, etc. Wet and use a wire brush, or immerse if you have a tank. Acid dipping seems a bit on the drastic side.

It's a metallic dust coat I think. Acetone and white spirit don't work.

Ahh, powder coat. Good stuff, unfortunately for your purposes. Good luck... maybe the acid is the only way... or perhaps once "scratched" an electrolysis. Hmm..lessee here... this is for rust... but it may remove any coating on the iron?

Cast iron cleaning

How about sandblasting it? You'll need some proper equipment for doing that, but it even gets tar removed from the bottom of a boat. When done you only need to use some fat removers (ammonia works well enough) for your case and you are ready to paint it.

Have you tried, you know, paint stripper? The stuff designed to remove paint completely from surfaces... It's usually near the solvents at the hardware store. Try to find the aircraft grade stuff, but any of them should take it off. It's a solvent jelly sort of stuff, glop it on, wait 15 mins - 2 hrs and just sort of scrape/rub it off.

Edit: If it's powder coat, try one of the very strong stripper products. Even epoxy powder coats are removable with solvents (usually ones with MEK and THF in them). The polyurethane powder coats, the more common type, should come off easier.

Some types of powder coatings are removed with a hot akali bath (hot NaOH). Don't know if this is viable for you either. I'd try a good stripping product first.

Edited by tentacles

Well, thank you for the replies. I hope these paint strippers aren't expensive, because I don't have much money to spent. I'll ask some more people about these strippers.

I would just use a wire wheel. If you have one already then your in luck but I would try all the other stuff first b/c its kind of expensive to get the whole thing set up.