APC Forum

Milling Titanium

Miech

popi, just be sure to consider that Ti has a VERY high friction sensitivity. Stars with Ti have been known to ignite from being stepped on or crushed. Pressing Ti in rocket fuel around a spindle will also cause ignitions - I know of several people who have had this happen, who participate on this board. Cheaper doesn't always mean better! Just be careful.

• 3 weeks later...
ditto. Ti when so finely divided is reactive and a bit scary. I'm surprised that you can get Ti so cheaply. For the sheet metal itself, Ti is normally 5X to 10X the cost of a similar amount of aluminum.

• 6 months later...

Due to a mistake I just received a pound of -325 sponge Ti. I am half scared to death to use this stuff, it was shipped in water an looked like paint to give you an idea of how fine it is.

WTF can I do with a POUND of this stuff?

It is used in some e-match ignition compositions, but there isn't a lot of use for it unfortunately. Maybe some extra bright flash cores if you are into star rolling.

I've seen some comets made with sponge Ti that makes a really loud crackling. I'm not so sure of the mesh size though...yours might be too fine. Good luck.

Btw, what was the mistake?

I thought I was getting a pound of Ti sponge that would be like a brillo pad consistency, 60 mesh at the most, not this stuff.

I had ordered the a whole bunch of stuff, Mistake was the fineness of the Ti, Sulfamic acid instead of NaBenz, and Saran instead of Mg Curls and Unpure Iron Powder.

So is there really no hope for the Ti? Maybe mixing it with some Chrys. of Mystery as Stars?

oooooo I have some very fine Ti just about the same mesh range, makes a scary flash!

It will make some ungodly hot ignition compositions. Good for ematches, really hot igniter pellets for AP rockets, and perhaps some star primes. When used with silicon in a prime or ignition compound it'll light it all!!

Its still sold as Sponge Ti, even that fine. My mistake for not knowing I guess, plus it was only 10 bucks so I shouldn't be crying. I'll try some out in Chrys of Myst. comp, with & without delay agents.