APC Forum

Ball mill motors

moof

perfect. im in canada.

but it it powerful enough?

It will be fine, my motor is only 1/15HP 1075 RPM and works great. You will have to slow the motor down with pulleys though, but that also increases the torque which is good.

Bonny, how big of a barrel and how much BP at once are you turning with the motor?

My barrels (were...they both cracked so no milling ATM :angry: ) about 6" diameter. One was a peanut butter container and the other was from jar of mixed nuts or something. I had some lift bars glued in until the hot melt let go...

I usually do batches of around 500g, but have put as much as 800g + in at a time. In that case it was way overcharged, so I milled it for much longer (don't remember how long though).

I have no idea how much media I have, not enough for sure, but probably around 4 lbs of brass of all shapes and sizes.

There's a pic here...not much to look at though, but it has also doubled as a great star roller as of late.

http://www.apcforum.net/forums/index.php?s...ic=2622&hl=

http://www.apcforum.net/forums/index.php?s...amp;#entry35656

Edited by Bonny

In my opinion 1/10Hp is on the low end of the usability scale. It will lack the torque required to start a modest-sized mill jar (~20-30lb fully loaded), so you'll have to give it a push to begin. This is dangerous and inconvenient.

Best bet is to buy a motor with no less than 1/3HP.

Edited by FrankRizzo

I am using a 12V motor from a RAZOR scooter, its water resistant (sealed) and does not get to warm. Its it has great torque at 2 amp. Found the scooter in the trash.

The lamp dimmer idea will slow the motor BUT will cause it to overheat. Use the dimmer for fine speed adjustments, and get the pulleys close first so that all the dimmer needs to do is a max of 5% speed changes. -No get the right pulleys and dump the dimmer, it's heat, unprotected spark risk, and wasted power.

A lamp dimmer won't change the speed of an induction motor by much, short of underpowering the load and "skipping". All you're likely to do is smoke the dimmer and the motor. You could probably get away with using a fan speed control, but be wary of slowing the motor very much, because the centrifugal switch will activate and the start winding will fire up again - result: smoked motor, probably a fire too. Induction motors are not meant to be speed controlled, the speed is a factor of the frequency, and you really can't vary it much on a single phase motor. 3-phase motors can be controlled beautifully, but are expensive and the controls... outrageous.

I had my doubts about these www.gemrock.net/products/products_detail.asp?prod=1791 til I tried one. OK it isn't big but with ceramic media just sits there milling and not making much more noise than a freezer. Max cost new is £50 I had certainly spent more than that on getting bits together to make a mill.

Thank you for your kind answers. Till I get my new motor I won't mill anything for safety reasons, maybe a bit star rolling but nothing bigger. I'll have to visit one of my old teachers who has a box full of different motors, I'm sure I'll find something proper for the job.