APC Forum

How Much Lift?

Fire-Man

I have some 4" shells that I made with some winokur, they weigh around 9.3 oz or 264g each. Is there a lift to weight ratio people are using. I am using 3f black powder by the way.

Seems light for a 4" ball shell. But if thats 3fg, as in powder for black powder guns than you can use about 1/12th - 1/16th the weight of your shell, depending on how good the fit is in the gun.

Are these cannister or ball shells?

If yours are ball shells, my info below won't be accurate. And I agree, that seems a bit light for a 4" ball shell?

Anyway...

I've built a fair number of 3" cannisters, and they all weighed just over a half-pound. (About 10 ounces, IIRC.) It's been my experience that I needed 22 grams of 2Fg to get the height I wanted. This might be overlifting a little bit, but not much. Using a 3-second delay timefuse, it breaks right at the apex of the lift. Using my hottest homemade BP, I get the same results from the same amount. I've gone as high as 26 grams of lift but it didn't seem to make a noticeable difference in height, and the launch seemed overly hard.

Sorry LOL! :D I didn't mean to say 4", I'm just tired. I meant 2". So 1/16 or 1/12th of the weight? Yes these are ball shells.

Ya anything in between will be ok if its nice and hot bp like commercial 3fg Goex. If its homemade try about 1/10th and then work your way to using less if need by.