APC Forum

MnO2 Rockets

tentacles

While I was visiting FrankRizzo, we made a few rockets (that mostly failed in hilarious ways) including a MnO2 - Al rocket.

Basic construction was... MnO2 and 325 bright flake Al pressed using BP core burner tooling. At the very top of the core was 1/2 increment of strobe mix to light it up (it is a thermite after all). Above the core was some BP. 75-15-10 meal I think (pressed in).

I think you'll like it... Check it out frame by frame if you have a good player. And we were worried the 325 flake was too slow! The rocket had more thump than the 10g flash header (+10 Ti).

http://www.apcforum.net/files/MnO2-325flake-sound.avi

I really like unusual rocket fuels! And the CATO was very nice. Is there any chance to slow down the burn rate for a short flight? Think I´ll do some experiments with MnO2...and not for thermite

Nice "bomb on a stick" there! ;)

Did you have any that worked as you hoped? If so.... video?

TS: The others were BP (cored) and whistle (on fountain tooling in the rain).

Here's a link to the other 6 vids I got (total 8 rockets, didn't get one on vid). Keep in mind that we pressed these rockets in the rain. The whistle rockets are K benz based.

http://picasaweb.google.com/EdwinGuy/BrianSPhotosAndJunk

Just ignore the pictures of my argon tank, and admire my hops. The larger plant with 2 stalks has overnight started wrapping the nearer stalk around that wooden marker pole. I've put up a piece of string for the other to climb up that trellis.

Rockets pressed in the rain.... yeah, I see that was a problem. Even the whistles. :(

On a brighter note, the hops look damn fine!

I cant play the first video :( All I get is the audio...

Rockets pressed in the rain.... yeah, I see that was a problem. Even the whistles. :(

On a brighter note, the hops look damn fine!

HAHA...nice video man!

So, I dessicated a sample of that BP we used for those end-burners...~12% moisture. oops. I guess I forgot to fully dry that powder before storing it away last fall. :) I'm sure the rain didn't help much either.

Using the fountain tooling to press those whistle rockets probably wasn't a performance enhancing endeavor either. A 1/2" core is maybe a bit small. :)

We had fun..that's all that matters.

Yah that may not work to well for whistles. You could have make hybrid 1s though.