APC Forum

Dinitrophenol (DNP) for weight loss

FrKoNaLeaSh1010

Hello all,

I have recently read about people using DNP for weight loss purposes. For those who dont know DNP is 2,4 Dinitrophenol. I am well aware that TNP(trinitrophenol) is an explosive compound but from what I have read DNP is a yellowish crystalline solid (sounds familiar to tnp) that is not explosive unless combined with metals. I do not want to discuss any explosive properties of DNP(chemistry section not HE section) I just was wondering if anyone knew a procedure that will make the Dinitro and not the trinitro. I will not be actually ingesting any because as it is I hear that there are many dangers of people taking it for fat loss that include literally cooking your internal organs. I am just curious if people are manufacturing this themselves and possibley injesting explosive TNP along with the DNP or if they buy it from somewhere online or something. So anyone with any info about Dinitrophenol for weight loss inluding manufacture or experience taking it will be greatly appreciated. I am very curous about this compound as it is very close to a popular explsovie yet people are using it for weight loss.

Aghh frk is uncle wedge if you rmeber me from before this forum.

DNP is easily made.

It works by takeing hydrogne ions form out side the mitochndorias inner membrane and "hidding it" within in it self then by diffusing through the membrane it offloadsthem on the inside effectivily missing the 5th memebrane transporter in the mitochondria. thus cellular resperation is occuring but non of the hydrogen ions are actually making atp, becuase atp is made where the hyrogen ions go through a tranmsporter that joines the adp and pi togther, by missing this step you effectivily lose wieght (becuase what little atp you have is sued during your normla functions.

Dosing is very hard to contraol and iirc there is no cure for an overdose although it is one of the most effetcive wieght loss pills on the eillict market!

Indeed, DNP is a very effective weight loss medicine, but also pretty dangerous. Especially if the purity is questionable. One of the main impurities would be TNP which is a cumulative toxin devastating to the kidneys.

I vaguely recall it indeed works by effecting the cells directly.

The result being a higher then regular body temperature and a much increased metabolism. All depending upon the dosage taken offcourse.

So the real difficulty is making it pure enough to ingest without added dangers from TNP poisoning. Or finding a way to destroy the TNP from the mixture of nitrates. Does anyone have toxicology information about the mono-nitrate form of phenol?

Wikipedia about DNP

• 1 month later...

Just look at that structure, it has environmental pollutant written all over it, and people ingest it in the 100s of milligrams.

What to do with DNP? You could make its potassium salt and use it as a sensitive but very loud whistle mix with potassium perchlorate. You could make its ammonium salt and use it as a rocket propellant, or you can take that ammonium salt or DNP neat and use it in high explosive formulations, or the lead salt in primary explosive mixtures.

But ingest it? Nooo way.

It might be worthwhile to mention that we tend to frown upon practical explosive discussion outside of the HE section.

I feel I merely touched the subject in an overview of all things pyro that can be done with the substance, but these are the rules and I will play by them.

Well this was intended as a chemistry behind the weight loss supplement discussion as I was curious about its similarity to TNP. I am well aware of all the picrate salts but thought they had to be made from picric acid (tnp). I made a couple back in the day from some picric acid but that was a long time ago and I dont think i ever actually used them for anything except the one that makes a primary I think its the lead picrate. (had to try it)

The basic idea behind DNP for weightloss is to eat enough of it, so that the body produces about 40% more heat output.

To produce the heat your body burns extra calories.

I'm quite big myself. Lost 30lbs recently (thankyou thankyou :P) The old saying of Diet & Exercise holds true. Eat healthy and exercise more. Moderate calorie intake and moderate exercise.

You don't want to poison yourself with DNP to get results that can be achieved with good food & walking a couple blocks a day. In fact, the latter ALWAYS is healthier, even if less weight is lost.

No diet pill should be used for somthing you can only do yourself. Take charge of your life and act.

If anyone makes DNP it will always contain various nitrophenols as an impurity, it cannot be avoided. No one should be ingesting DNP in the first place but especially not impure DNP.

All the books I've read say that DNP essentially short circuts part of one of the cycles. The H+ gradient that flows through ATPase I think actually. I don't remember the exact numbers but instead of being able to produce say 30 ATP from a molecule of glucose you can produce about 5 or something. The body uses it much less effectively, so much more needs to be burned to get the same amount of energy.

Alas, impurity and overdose plagued this usage. Not that I'd want to be ingesting nitrated phenols anyway.