APC Forum

Rocket Nozzles

DIYMark

To quote Tentacles from 2008, "ARISE, dead thread! "

With the talk of nozzles and nozzle materials I have been having off line, I decided to bring some old posts back to address nozzles, nozzle materials and the tools that are used to make them.

I have to admit that I have changed nozzle materials like I change rocket fuels and have used just about anything I could get my hands on to make a nozzle. Right now I am using Kaolin, Hawthorne, -20 mesh Grog and Bentonite along with some Graphite, exact measurement is unknown.

What I would like to find out from you, the good people at APC is if you have data and pictures of the nozzles you have fired and how the nozzle materials were affected.

THIS LINK from UKPS is great at explaining nozzles used in the space program, high power rocketry and some hobby rockets. I am not sure you can use anything directly from this link for pyrotechnics but it goes a long way to explain "why" a convergence and divergence is used.

-dag

Here are some pictures of a nozzle I had to cut out when enough nozzle mix crept up around the rammer causing it to get stuck.

Business end:

2012-06-29_14-51-57_773.jpg

Back end of the nozzle, toward the comp.

2012-06-29_14-52-07_11.jpg

Fired nozzle on a 1/2" motor, this one was made rammed with hawthorn clay and no additives.

2011-04-17_16-42-58_534.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi guys!

I'm a completey newbie with all of this stuff (this is my first post). I was wondering if there was any set ratio for the diameter of the nozzle like there was with the length of the rocket vs the diamete. Is there a formula where the diameter of the nozzle opening is related to the ID of the motor?

Cheers

Just to add some info... for smaller rockets up to 20mm ID motors i use simple cat litter for a nozzle. The grains (that appear as little chalk-like sponges) are ground with a kitchen blender. The material is sieved trough an ordinary kitchen sieve, and used straight away. Gave me perfect nozzles for years now, and i have fired hundreds of rockets made with this material. Cheap, easy, and a nice material to work with. It cannot be used for larger diameters though. For that i use the clay where i live on... most sturdy material i have ever used. I even use it for 3'' ID fountains that hold 1,5kg of comp.

• 1 month later...

Yes, indeed there is, just check out this program and type in your motor ID and select the type of rocket you would like to build, you will get a drawing with the nozzle diameters.

http://www.flashnet.dk/rts/

-dag

I too have been wondering the same thing as what thehodsonator asked. The rocket tool sketcher is pretty cool, however I do not see an option for sugar rockets. Which rocket type tool would be best with the use of rcandy? Right now i've just been compacting clay and drilling a hole close to the size of bbq skewer, basically Jimmy Yawn's method.