APC Forum

what if i added both of these...

jointluver

If I add lift charge and whistle mix will the rocket just fly up in the air and whistle? Maybe someone can sent me a tutorial of making a full whistle rocket. Thanks, I really appreciated. B)

I really have no idea what you're trying to ask. It's probably time to get some terminology straight.

Lift charge - a granular mixture normally composed of black powder placed in the bottom of a tube intended to burn fast and shoot out a projectile.

Propellant - A mixture pressed into a tube intended to burn slower and provide a sustained lift to a rocket.

There is a big difference there. Are you thinking about shooting a rocket motor out of a tube and the whistle to light later, or use both black powder and whistle based mixes as the propellant.

A mixture of the two is sometimes termed a hybrid rocket, made famous by Steve LaDuke. In pyro rocket research you will see his name come up a lot for a good reason. The mixture is very powerful, but will not whistle. It also requires special tooling.

Whistle rockets require special tooling, so you can't just pop out to the shed and make one up without said tooling. If you buy the tooling, instructions will come with it. They also absolutely require a press. You CAN NOT ram whistle rockets. I think you have a lot more reading a research to do before making anything, especially things as energetic as whistle.

that's why I am asking you.. i just need a guide to show me hoe to make a whistle rocket.

You press whistle mix in a tube with 1/2 ID increments on the special tooling. No nozzle.

There is your guide. Now get off your lazy ass, do some reading, and then you will be able to understand it.

• Like 1

Why are you trying to make whistle?

Why not start with something simple like black powder?

You dont seem ready to make whistle.

Also ever since you have been here all you have been asking is for people to give you step by step instructions and you seem to think that it is SO easy.

Here is some advice.

READ. The answer to all your questions are somewhere in this forum. If you read enough information about rockets you will know what likely went wrong with your rocket (If you make one).

EDIT: Yes, sorry I meant black powder rockets.

TS: Alright.

Mumbles handled it already.

Leave the Moderating to the Moderators, please, nick. Thank you.

Yes start your way with BP, and the move on to whistle. You can make nice BP rockets, just need the tooling for them (I made some, but since I don't have tooling, I dont get consistent resaults). So stick with BP for now ;)

Rocket tooling - you can buy or make tooling. It consists of a base, a nozzle mold, a core tool, and a support for the tube. A set of tools in a given size can be $50 to $100.

http://www.5bears.com/firew/rt002.jpg

See the pointy thing? You put the tube over that, then place the tube support (the clamshell thing) around the tube to give it strength for ramming. In first is a nozzle mixture, usually clay powder and wax, pre-mixed, with sometimes grog tossed in. The classic ratio is 30 clay, 15 grog, 4 wax. The nozzle mix is rammed hard, and it solidifies into a nearly ceramic state. Next, the BP fuel goes in in portions, usually wetted 10% with a solvent like alcohol, sometimes dry. It too is rammed. Finally, a clay end cap is added. The end cap is drilled through (carefully) to allow the fire to pass to the header.

The core tool is carefully removed, and the rocket is freed from the support. Let any solvents evaporate, a day or two at least. Attach to a stick, insert fuse, launch.

Swede, I know you were trying to be helpful, but this newbie should start even smaller: Fountains, then mines.

Rockets, even relatively tame ones like BP, are NOT the place to start. He's been told in detail the steps to take.

Jointluver, look at that pic. Picture yourself using something like that AFTER you have learned to make the BP used in it, and AFTER you can make reliable fountains and mines. Consider it a goal to achieve, but something for the future, and not today.

Locked.