APC Forum

OLED Project

ActionTekJackson

Hey guys, I'm looking into starting a research project and development of an Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED) lit business card. I have the synth and manufacture process for the Organic material and how to use it but I'm a little stumped on how to power it. The idea is to have the business card flexible, (yes OLEDs can be flexible and still light up) however, I can't think of a bettery that would flex with it. Any help?

Lithium polymer batteries can be made thin and flexible enough, but I would recommend super-capacitors instead. They are currently being mass mfg for camera phones which use high wattage LED flashes.

Good luck finding a supercap that bends. :P

Funny you mentioned them, I was designing a backup supply using 20 Farad supercaps until literally minutes ago. It's meant to safely shut down a machine if the mains is lost (close valves etc).

You will have a problem getting much power out of a printable battery (yes they exist, google RFID, intelligent clothing etc. There is also a way to get electricity by flexong a substrate IIRC. The main problem with that is that OLEDs do not have the efficiency of modern LEDs, so don't expect to see much unless in a totally dark room. Especially with home-brew OLEDs.

Thinking about it, if you can make business cards that have the words "Senior Manager" or "Production Supervisor"... flash while you hand it over, you could make serious money. Egocentric Yuppies would love it!

Perhaps try to bate a patent lawyer with 10% of profit to get it patented?