Lancaster Red - pressed

Strontium nitrate 55

Magnesium 28

PVC 17

The addition of 5%

Red gum makes a good

pillbox star, if the comp

is damped with water.

I have no idea how to mix the ingredients together... I've looked for help and other resources for this star, but my efforts seem to be futile. The preparation of this composition boggles my mind. Can any of the experienced pyros shed some light on my otherwise dark composition?

(for PVC, I have PVC cement from Home Depot as recommended by pyroguide)

Why are you confused on how to mix powders together? Just screen them together or put them in a Tupperware container and shake. This isn't rocket science.

Thanks, but if you read my post, you would see that I'm using liquid pvc glue... Throws a little kink in your master plan, huh?

Not really. PVC is usually powder but if you are using glue just mix all the powdered chemicals then add the liquid and kneed it in.

Thanks. sorry I was a tad bit defensive, but your first post wasn't exactly nice...

Hehe, I know that star composition. I wouldn't add the red gum, and just make pumped/pressed stars of it, using the PVC as binder. Remember that magnesium reacts with water, so adding water wouldn't be a good idea.

This star is one of the best colored stars I have seen so far though.

Ya, I used alcohol to stop the magnesium problems. This is the freaking best star I've made. I fired one from my star gun. Holy crap that thing is a bright,, deep red.

I made some of these. The red is awesome, but they are somehow hard to ignite. I wonder if I can add sulfur to them, or just prime them. I didn't try priming yet.

What mesh size Mg do you guys use?

And be carefull, most Alcohol will have a tad bit of water in it (I believe)

I was just wondering if you can get PVC by filing a PVC pipe?

Where can it be obtained in Australia?

What mesh size Mg do you guys use?

And be carefull, most Alcohol will have a tad bit of water in it (I believe)

I use 95% ethyl alcohol with <5% methanol. I just let them to dry in a safe place, in case they catch fire or else. :D .

Alcohol forms an azeotrope with water, so there is actually 4% of water in it. The 5% of methanol is to be able to sell it without alcohol taxes, and not to force out water.

Try binding with tetrahydrofuran (THF). This is available in waterfree form, and works really well for dissolving PVC.

To the post crazyboy made earlier, it kind of is rocket science. Just a little bit.

And like jacob said I would also like to know what mesh the Mg is?

Also, would there be away to seperate to filler from the PCV in PCV pipes?

I don't believe it it is possible, at least easily, to separate the good from the bad in PVC pipe. Your best bet would be to dissolve it in Tetrahydrofuran, and hope that the fillers fall to the bottom. Flexible PVC pipe isn't pure either, but if going the THF route, it may provide a slightly purer starting material. It will have some stuff in it that may not be possible to remove by solvation alone. Best to do a test run to see if it will work at all.

As I see it the PVC is the Chlorine donor, and the added 5% Red Gum suggests that the composistion is dampend with alcohol, using Red Gums binding properties.

Coating the Mg in a physical inhibitor like linseed oil, should stop any unwanted reactions.